Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Should You Use Fsp Statements As Objectives?

I wonder if anyone can clarify this.

A friend of mine recently had her foundation stage profile assessments moderated. From this she was told she should be using the FSP statements as objectives for her lessons. Also, she was told she should be planning for all areas of learning through out the day.

Any thoughts?

Yes, like Susan we have been told you SHOULD NOT use the Profile to plan - you should use the Curriculum Guidance. However, we teach in the 'real world' and sometimes I do use the odd Profile statement as an objective and then this does feed very nicely into filling in the Profile. Also, like Susan, you often find yourself doing this at the end of the year to effectively 'fill in gaps.'

As to the other point, about planning for all areas of learning throughout the day, yes we have been told that too and do this. It is not as difficult or as hard as you may think. Fruit time throws up numeracy opportunities, KUW and loads of PSED. We don't plan 'sessions' or even big inputs for all areas but show how all areas are addressed by our routines and environment to various degrees and depths!

Hope that helps!

Although I don't use profile points to plan, I do find it helpful to show where evidence for particular profile points might be obtained. So, for example, if I plan an activity with the objective"to have the confidence to speak in a familiar group"[part of PSED elg2] I could be looking for evidence for profile points PSED(3)2,4 and CLL(1)1,2,7,8 (depending on the actual activity). Does that make sense?

Thanks for your comments. I shall pass them onto my friend and hopefully they will help her with the situation that has developed at school.

Cheers x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)