Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Discovery Gloves

Hi everyone

Just reading the posts about discovery bottles. I recently did these activities, and then went on to fill rubber gloves with things, such as cornflour (squelchy sounds) salt, peas (looked gross - like the hand had chicken pox!), jelly cubes (felt really rubbery). These went down well with the children, and they started 'shaking hands' 'poking' 'patting' and doing 'high fives'. Lots of chat as well.

Regards

G.

Yes, these are brilliant, we've been using them for some time.

Word of caution - check allergies!! Natural latex sensitivity is an increasing problem and reactions can be severe ( I carry an Epipen! :o ) so if you can, I would advise the use of vinyl gloves - they are readily available in Sainsbury's and Boots, so probably elsewhere as well.

Sorry to be a fusspot!

Sue

Sorry for being thick, but what's this all about? Do the children wear the gloves, or are they sealed with stuff inside? Or something else?

Please explain as it sounds like fun, and I'd hate to miss out!

Sounds a lovely activity to me - is there anything we should be aware of - e.g. don't ovrfill with jelly - only half fill with cornflour for best results etc. etc as I would love to try them but somehow I always seem to not get it quite right.

Nikki

Thanks for the word of caution Sue R about Latex allergies - hadnt thought of that xD

Nicola - I found that the hardest things to get in were the jelly cubes - they were really difficult to stuff down into the fingers. I would advise cutting them up even smaller than cubes, and then you really just have to push. I can't remember exactly how many packets I used (about 8 maybe) although I bought Tescos own brand so it wasnt expensive.

I also found when first doing the peas that the finger of one of the gloves split when I started to squeeze it - the rubber needed to be really thick - not sure what the vinyl ones are like.

I found I used nearly a box of cornflour as I had to keep sqeezing it down into the fingers to get it really stuffed.

With all of them though, I had problems tying the end of the glove to seal it. I ended up cutting a slit down the wrist bit of the glove (after very sore fingers) and then tying it really tightly in a knot. That seemed to work as none came out.

Gosh Im turning into a real glove bore here ! :o

Good Luck

P.s. I also made the ice hand that was talked about before Christmas - It was really difficult to get the glove peeled off and then I went and dropped it in the sink and one of the fingers fell off :( The children loved it though :D

• 3 weeks later...

Have just made some discovery gloves, but am wary about what my colleagues may say and how to 'justify ' their use. In my planning I'm using them to develop language associated with texture and to help develop children's manipulative skills. Have filled them with jelly, rice, sun flower seeds, paper towell and cornflour. Any other ideas??????????????

Have just made some discovery gloves, but am wary about what my colleagues may say and how to 'justify ' their use. In my planning I'm using them to develop language associated with texture and to help develop children's manipulative skills. Have filled them with jelly, rice, sun flower seeds, paper towell and cornflour. Any other ideas??????????????

48338[/snapback]

We used sweetcorn, branston pickle, curry sauce, baked beans and honey last week have also used dried peas and beans, washing up liquid, instant coffee, and hot chocolate powder.

I am so excited!!!! Can't wait to try these next week! Use most of above, but never in gloves, so looking forward to next week or maybe I just might have to try Friday!

• 1 month later...

this is my first post on here! No idea if I'm doing it right!

I'm fascinated by the glove idea! Would they need to be see through gloves? I'd be worried that they'd break! I've used lots of things like gloop etc in our builders tray but never thought to put it in a glove! How exciting!

I'm off to find other posts now...I could psend hours on here!

Hi Ali - you're definitely posting right :D and welcome from me too. Once you're up to speed with the various postings you can use the "view new posts" button which you can find top left when you're in one of the forums. That way you won't miss any new messages and you don't have to trawl through all the forums manually.

Enjoy :D

Hi Ali, dont forget to read the articles, they cover a whole range of topics, you can get to them from the home page. Interesting and helpful stuff. Enjoy. :D:D

The gloves is one activitry I'm waiting for the chance to try, just need a receptive setting! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)