Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Childminder Inspections - a rough deal!?

AnonyMouse_50010

I had my first inspection yesterday and feel totally deflated today! :(

Not that it didn't go well and the inspector was lovely but it is just so intense, I can only liken it to sitting an exam but having a 2 year old and 5 year old sat with you for the entire time.

Don't get me wrong - I realise an important part of the inspection is observing my practice and I would be more than happy for an inspector to visit me every day and observe me with the children its just all the extra in depth questioning and providing proof whilst you are caring for children that have expectations based on their normal days with you.

Having worked in various nurseries over the years and being involved in several inspections, I think childminders get a bit of a tough ride..

In a nursery the manager is able to sit in their office with the inspector and have time to compose their thoughts think and speak without distraction, childminders don't get this opportunity.

By the end of the inspection I just felt so relieved it was over that when the inspector made suggestions for improvements - such as doing more things with natural resources I didn't have the will to challenge it and say actually I have observations of the children making birds nests from cut grass, designs and pictures with sticks in the woods etc etc. If I was a manager of a nursery and hadn't had children requiring my attention I feel I would have done this and much more.

Oh dear- I shouldn't complain(just needed to get it off my chest) I love my job so I guess it isn't really important!

• Like 2

inspections are always hard work and well done for getting through it.....done now for at least three years! but I run a pre-school and am on the floor all the time so also have to do what you described. The worse one was when we had 18 children and 2 inspectors firing questions at us as we were trying to look after the children (including challenging children with asd at the time!) ...it was SO bad that we complained and had the inspection voided!

• Like 2

It must be really hard for childminders - Inspectors are supposed to be considerate of the fact that you are looking after children and they are your priority - if you feel that the inspector was not considerate in this way you could put in a complaint.

It's hard isn't it Polly, but I can't see another way round the problem for childminders. Think if the Inspector doesn't show enough consideration about your need to put children first you must force it upon them with a few chosen words and remind them.

Regarding the natural resources - maybe one of the activities your little ones did during the inspection could have used natural resources rather than what they did use, or that natural resources could have been part of the choice within what they did.

It's very easy to get "hung up" about some stuff so soon after the inspection. Just write it up from your perspective how it went and what happened, what you were asked etc. Revisit it from time to time and reflect upon where you were and where you have progressed to.

After every inspection, and I've had a few in 20 years as an owner/manager of a pre-school, I always say "never again. I'll give it up by the time the next one is due!" Clearly that has never happened.

Well done on getting through it - sounds like you did a really good job and any suggestions for improvements sound like you can accommodate.

What do Childminders do to celebrate??

Inspections are hard for us all. I am a Pre-school Leader and when they arrive I have to deal with them and the children at the same time. Even though they say they will talk to you at the end, they don't adhere to that and ask for this document and that document... It is very stressful. I do not sit in an office and most certainly don't have an opportunity to compose my thoughts.

Until recently, we never had the luxury of knowing when they were coming, unlike childminders or schools. It was a knock on the door.... Here we are!

Childminders in our neck of the woods get to choose when they come within a two week period! This recently allowed one of our local childminders, to place the difficult children elsewhere on the day of her inspection. Another childminder in our village didn't keep learning journals, didn't track, hadn't been on any training for years etc, but still got a good. We would have received a requires improvement for that.

I don't think you can compare one against the other. It's hard no matter what.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Inspections are hard for us all. I am a Pre-school Leader and when they arrive I have to deal with them and the children at the same time. Even though they say they will talk to you at the end, they don't adhere to that and ask for this document and that document... It is very stressful. I do not sit in an office and most certainly don't have an opportunity to compose my thoughts.

Until recently, we never had the luxury of knowing when they were coming, unlike childminders or schools. It was a knock on the door.... Here we are!

Childminders in our neck of the woods get to choose when they come within a two week period! This recently allowed one of our local childminders, to place the difficult children elsewhere on the day of her inspection. Another childminder in our village didn't keep learning journals, didn't track, hadn't been on any training for years etc, but still got a good. We would have received a requires improvement for that.

I don't think you can compare one against the other. It's hard no matter what.

There are pros and cons with every setting. I use Tapestry to demonstrate my practice, but Ofsted don't insist on tracking or journal making, only that the practice supports the child. If the practitioner talked about each child and why they had provided particular activities for particular children then they could be providing the EYFS very well. I'm sure we could all point the finger at nursery practitioners with beautiful journals who aren't in tune with the children. Important that we work together to support each other, lead by example, and look at the children.

It would be a poor use of an inspector's time to turn up unexpectedly when there are no children, school runs, nursery runs, trips out and groups to be attended. In my experience the inspector calls to find out which days are not convenient within the next three days.

The way I got around talking to the inspector too much was to have most of my documentation on a web site that she could look at before she arrived and while she was here. Meant I could stay with the children.

Well done Polly, celebrate and relax.

Honey