Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Assessment On Entry In N & R

Hello - having to measure/prove progress of children from entry in N and reception until the end of both years. Does anyone have a format they could share/know where I can find one? :o

Thanks J

I think we are all in the same boat. I am the FS leader & nursery teacher in large primary. We've just had OFSTED who asked these very questions. Basically regarding entry to nursery we must value home visits which give us much background & have dialogue with previous settings and health visitor if possible. I am loathe to start making judgements however on nursery children in the first months. They are so young and a period of settling is so vital. Just think of children who are only just blossoming because they are confident after a term! That is not to say I am not recording & assessing children in nursery in the first term.

As to your other question progressing into reception I use Learning Stories to record nursery children's achievements but I want to continue them into reception as they are the stepping stones, but they don' :o t quite match with Profiles. I keep looking at it and trying to find a way. I don't want to use the profiles in nursery. We have to send in our profile scores to county at the end of the year so I can't stop doing the Profiles in reception although I'd dearly love to!

This is something we need to look at too so I would be very interested to see what others are doing. With help from this forum, I have recently updated our initial child profile which is completed by the parent so is perhaps not very subjective. We then go through it with the parent during the first session, I guess this is where a home visit would come in but we don't currently have any plans to do them. Apart from normal observations we don't carry out an initial assessment other than assessing how well they are settlling in.

Deb

Should add we are a pre-school.

Edited by Deb

Should add we are a pre-school.

47861[/snapback]

We find that the reception teachers who visit our preschool to meet the children in the summer term find it valuable. I don't think they also home visit though

Whitetree

Guest tinkerbell

This is interesting as I am meeting with someone from our local authority on the Tuesday we go back.they want to know what the new Reception children bring to school in the form of where they are (assessment).It should be interesting because the 16 children have come from 9 settings,playgroup,montessori,steiner ,lea nursery,private nurseries ...The LEA want to talk about transition to school and in school.

I actually find that I do my own baseline assessments, not that the evidence from some settings is dubious but that some children come with nothing.I did try the PIPS suggested by the LEA ,I am looking forward to telling them how flawed that is.

Think I'm getting cranky in my old age!!

We use the Durham Flying Start baseline assessment from entry to nursery to the end of the reception year so progression is clearly seen.

48068[/snapback]

That sounds interesting - how can I get access to it?

Jacqui

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)