Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Help needed - how to get my ethos across?

AnonyMouse_13789

The ethos at my Pre-School which I instill daily is ......

1. process over outcome
  2. In the moment planning
  3. Skills based - ie: not everyone has to make an Elmer, they can make whatever they want as long as we are practising the taught skill.

The problem is that everyone seems to subscribe when i'm there but when I am not which is during the holidays (as a teacher I only work term time) everyone reverts back to their default setting....colouring in, everyone making an Elmer by colouring in the blanks, templates etc.

How to I address this?

I have an inset day and would like to focus on this with maybe an activity or something but cannot think how would be best to approach it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Have you seen fluffy duck syndrome.

On this lovely forum someone produced an easy to read handout.

Not the whole solution but sometimes knowing someone else is spouting the same as you can help.

At uni we did an exercise where we were all given a flower cut out and the same screwed up tissue paper with specific instructions. After completing the task we then had to evaluate what we learnt. That helped to get message of creative thinking across too.

• Like 4

We did an exercise with craft where we were given a range of items and told we had to make a flower.. - and then the leader went round telling us all that it was wrong and made us all use the same items, making us undo our work, sit and wait until everyone had reached the same stage before allowing us to carry on.. got very boring and dull..

Followed by , now have a go yourselves , do whatever you want.. with no agenda or interruptions

Completed by a what did you learn from each exercise..

• Like 2

Hi

I did a search and found a couple of previous discussions that might add more food for thought:

http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/44774-fluffy-duck-dilemma/http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/43590-adult-led-activitys-to-do-or-not-to-do/

Thanks sue this was interesting reading. I m beginning to formulate a few ideas to drive home my point.

• Like 1

Hi Rufus.

I wonder if they don't really subscribe because they don't really share the ethos, perhaps they see it as yours rather than "ours"? Have you ever worked together as a team to decide and agree your ethos, or if you have, is it time to revisit it, or have staff changed?

So your first point is process over outcome. Can you apply this to developing your ethos? Ie the process is an important part of thinking about what you believe and stand for. In doing this, (or revisiting it if you have done it before), you can explore perhaps what the barriers are to why they revert to fluffy duck when you're not there. Is it because it's safe and comfortable? Does the unknown product bother them? Do they feel pressured from parents? Do they see holiday times as not important? Then is the time to bring in some of the ideas given above by others, asking them how they feel when they have to do the same thing in the same way. But I think you need to go deeper first and really look at what you believe as a team. It's really hard to do something you don't believe in, and when opportunities arise to non comply, you take them. (I know I've done it many times).

In terms of in the moment planning, the same applies. Do they know what it is, are they confident with it?, what do they find difficult about it? Or do they just not see the point? I think in the moment planning is quite a sophisticated thought process and requires a certain level of skill. Do your staff have that understanding and skill?

I find I spend a lot of time with settings on their vision and ethos because it influences everything you do, and yet is rarely actively discussed, debated and developed over time. In my humble,it should be frequently on the agenda so that it's always central to the way you work.

• Like 2

Rufus I do understand that some see it as "just a job" but just have faith. Once your ethos becomes embedded they will be seeing it as more.

Keep your enthusiasm for wanting to see good practice amongst your team and you will turn things around.

Mundia's idea about helping you set your ethos is great. Asking them what they think is important will get them to buy into it.

My first ever team meeting I asked my team what they would like to see added or changed to our "Mission Statement" the reply was "You are the manager you should be telling us" The second year the team no longer had that attitude and willingly gave ideas. Some years later we now look at the statement at the beginning of the academic year and make tweeks. Helps to serve as team building, praise /reward, motivation.

• Like 1