Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Voting rights

We have just had an EGM to decide whether our pre-school should be taken under the 'umbrella' of the local school federation. The reason for this change is that I as pre-school leader am leaving at the end of the summer term and we have struggled recently to get a committee together. We are full, but have a lot of disinterested parents!

At the EGM this week the proposal was put to the vote. No parents were present (did I mention how disinterested they are?!)  just staff and committee members. All the committee members voted in favour but none of the staff at which point the chair said "Well only committee and parents can vote anyway so it doesn't matter what staff think!"

I just wondered if anyone knows if this is right? It's irrelevant as we would have been outvoted anyway but I feel strongly that our opinions should count! We are members of PSLA.

Thanks for any help.

May be too late but it depends on your legal structure. If you're a CIO, then the staff can become affiliate members and would absolutely have the right to vote.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Did you explain to the parents the implications of not coming along? I would scrutinise your constitution and make sure that they followed all the rules for voting at an EGM. Was 2 weeks notice given? Was there a quorom etc? Perhaps you can block it because they haven't followed due process.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)