Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Red Riding Hood

I am having my NQT observation by my headteacher on Thursday and am doing Little Red Riding Hood. I can teach any curriculum area but as I've already been observed in maths I thought I'd choose something different.

Can anyone please, please, offer me any inspiring ideas? Will be eternally grateful!

Shared writing: the wolf writes a letter to Red Riding Hood/Granny apologising. This will depend on the version of the story you use: no good if its the one where the woodcutter kills the wolf and cuts granny out!! (could adapt though?)

Descriptive sentences, e.g. "What big, sharp, yellow teeth you have!"

We are a nursery and have done some fantastic creative stuff for Red Riding Hood using salt dough. We looked at real cakes (could taste too!!) and then explored dough to consolidate the idea of trying to make 'real' looking cakes for Red Riding Hood to take to Grandma, then followed up with clay and salt dough to make our own props for the role play area. We then looked at our photos after the models were dry and tried to mix our own colours to paint our cakes 'real' colours! We have also made 'pretend' cakes using bun cases and collage materials to make buns. The children also explored joining by making a simple basket to put their cakes in (cut the end of a sheet of A4 for the handle and then fold up the sides of the remaining bit, snip about 1 inch in from the corners, 1 on each side, and make a simple, shallow sided box, then join your handle on). In our basket we put a doilie but not before we had carefully coloured some of the repeating patterns on them - sometimes there are little flowers and things in the patterns.

Ooh, I'm getting all inspired - want to do it all again!

Our role play area was fantastic too, with a lovely bed, nightie and shawl and mob cap for grandma, a photo of Little Red Riding Hood by the bed., a bunch of flowers, note paper and pen for Grandma to send mummy a letter etc. There's also a great book with a pig (Preston Pig?) and the Red Riding Hood story..... will try and find it.

Good luck.

I know it's quite samey, but what about getting the children to dress up in 'costumes' and act out the story? You could encourgage the children to make masks if you don't have costumes. We did this for 3 little pigs and found it was great fun!

Clare

Invite a character into your classroom for a question and answer session. This could be an older confident child from another class dressed in costume, or why not ask a grandma to come and pretend to be Little Red Ridinghood's Grandma.

If anyone wants a wolf dressing up I bought a head and tail which we have combined with a woolly jumper from the Rain Forest Cafe.

hi i did this last week. used many similar ideas as said above.

i also did a sorry card and paper flowers. i used the roamer and the children created a story map on paper to trace the route of little red riding hood through the woods.

i had a story basket with dressing up clothes for the children to dress up as granny or the wolf.

Thanks for those ideas, think I may have convinced my nursery nurse to dress up as Grandma one day. :o

Just can't decide on the all important knock em dead lesson!

Clair, not sure if you would mind but I would really appreciate a copy of your literacy plan.

Have attached a couple of things I have made up and found online in return for the favour. :D

I have made the Red Riding Hood number hunt going up to numbers to 20 if anyone wants them.

Red_Riding_Hood_seq_pics.doc

Red_Riding_Hood_Number_Hunt__0_5.doc

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)