Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Rhyming Activities

I have finally decided to concentrate on rhyming for my observation next week as my children are finding this difficult.

I have found a powerpoint on rhyme I can use but I am stuck for a grp activity. I have done rhyming lotto with them before but this is too difficult for most. I would really appreciate any ideas for small group work. Both myself and the TA will be working with focus groups so I need two ideas really.

I would love to hear what others have done when they focussed on this. Please help.

Matilda-x-

Have also made books with the rhyming ending on each page for the children to add an initial sound and draw the matching picture. If you cut all the pages except the last one slightly narrower so the word ending can be seen on the final page they only have to write the initial letter.

I recently was observed doing an activity that was originally used for rhyming - sorry its a bit garbled. Anyway you have a picture, you then cut another sheet of A4 into 6 or 8 pieces on which you write the answers to the clues. you then have 6/8 clues which can be based on the same known rhyme, you read the clues either alone or with children, depending on ability and they have to complete the rhyme, find the word on one of the pieces of paper and uncover the picture. An eg Humpty Dumpty went up the hill, Humpty Dumpty met a girl called ..... The answers Jill by the way. It worked really well, the kids loved it and responded really well to the game.

Good luck

Love the ideas, thanks guys. Josiebrad, can you tell me where this activity was from as it sounds like a really good one.

No time to put it together for this observation but I would be interested in some more info so I could have a go at doing it in the holidays.

Do you think you could explain it a little bit more, sorry if I seem a bit dim!

Anything that the children enjoy and don't say 'can I go and play now' has to be worth the effort! :o

You start with a photo or picture that interests the children, ours was of some toys and puppets that we use during literacy.

Then you write the clues, I used 6.

For rhyming the children have to fill in the missing rhyme. They then have to read it on one of the cards that cover the picture. As they get each clue and answer it, the picture is revealed.

It is easy to adapt & easy to make.

You need

1 A4 photo

6 clues in envelopes

1 piece of A4 divided into 6 with an answer to each clue written in each space

Jo

We have a simple nursery rhyme lotto which our children play on their own it comes with a tape they love it, most toy shops have it.

We also adapt rhymes - the children love Diddle, Diddle dumpling my son John -

My son Pete went to bed with slippers on his ................

My son Piers went to bed with socks on his ..................

My son Beck went to bed with a scarf around his .............. and so on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)