Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Plan, Do, Review

Guest flutter

Guest flutter

Hello everyone,

I am sure someone out there can help me.

I have recently heard of a reception class using a 'plan do review' cycle of learning. My deputy head thought this good for assessment for learning. Could someone out there explain exactly what this is and how to implement it in a reception class.

Thank you

Hi Flutter.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the 'Plan, Do, Review' idea comes from the High Scope approach. Key workers sit down with their group and talk about the activities the children would like to take part in during that session. This is the planning part.

The doing part, is quite obviously the children 'doing' the activity and then the review part is to regroup the children according to key groups and sit down and talk about what the children have done and what they have 'learnt' from the activity.

As I say, I' not totally sure, but I vaguely remember doing this when I was training in a High Scope setting (which was about 6 years ago!)

Hope this helps.

Clare

Guest flutter

Thanks Claire,

That info is great.

Not sure how I could implement this in reception with only two staff though. Maybe someone will have some ideas.

Does the High Scope approach only happen in nurseries?

I don't know if it only happens in nurseries. As I say, it was quite a while ago that I did any High Scope work.

I have found the website for High/Scope and was right when I said the plan, do, review idea came from there. I dont know how to put a link to it but the address is www.high-scope.org.uk

Hopefully the information you want can be found on there.

Good luck!

Clare

hi we sort of follow plan do review in recption although it has fizzled out a bit now as we spent so long planning and reviewing that the children got bored and had hardly anytime to play but maybe that was just the way i did it as not 100% sure about it

High/scope can be implemented in any setting, not just nurseries.

I run a day nursery and we implement it in all our rooms 0-5yrs. :D

hi we sort of follow plan do review in recption although it has fizzled out a bit now as we spent so long planning and reviewing that the children got bored and had hardly anytime to play but maybe that was just the way i did it as not 100% sure about it

52576[/snapback]

You could select a few children to plan and review/recall in detail each day. The others could listen and then talk to each other about their plans/actions.

To keep plan and review time fun and interesting we use different activities - peg boards to record our plan, songs and rhymes to decide who will plan next, planning cards, children ' write' or draw their plan, use props to review what we have done. :)

Guest flutter

Thank you for those ideas.

I like the idea of maybe a group doing this each day. That sounds more manageable. I will also look on the High Scope site for more info.

Queenbee what is your staff ratio? Do you have key workers? That might make a difference.

Thanks everyone I knew someone on this forum would know.

We have 1:8 in pre-school, children plan and review in whole group, one staff leads and one supports. :)

We did used to find these times quite daunting, but once the children are more practiced at it, it does become much easier.

If time is sometimes a problem, we have used our area cards for the children to put their name card on the area they would like to work in and then reviewed what they did in this area at review time.

This also helps the younger ones to have a visual plan and helps them to review. :o

Hello everyone,

I am sure someone out there can help me.

I have recently heard of a reception class using a 'plan do review' cycle of learning. My deputy head thought this good for assessment for learning. Could someone out there explain exactly what this is and how to implement it in a reception class.

Thank you

52542[/snapback]

52652[/snapback]

Hi there,

Seem to remember a high scope lecture when I did my ADCE a while ago. My understanding of the P D R is as follows... imagine a child involved with a painting activity!

A 2 year old will approach the paint and create a work of art fairly fast , not pausing for breath and then just.... go! hence the "DO" stage.

next comes perhaps a 3 year old who will approach the painting area create a work of art....leave...come back and add more detail! this is "DO REVIEW" stage

next comes an older child who will approach the painting area...pause and think....create a work or art....pause...add some more detail or change something on it!........This is "PLAN DO REVIEW"

We often use thgis a s a monitoring tool for where the child is at. Hope it helps :) !

Surprisingly young children can plan, though, albeit often in what seems to be a fairly cursory way. They can eye point to the symbol card of the area they want to play in; if you take them on a 'tour' of the play room, perhaps being a train or similar, they can indicate where they want to play.

You're right, though; it is a valuable monitoring tool, especially for those children who can say "I want to do a painting, then I'm going to play with the animals and make a zoo" or similar, especially when they carry it through & tell you how it worked out afterwards.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)