Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Cll Activity Ideas For Toys Topic

Out topic next term is toys and we have some good big books to use for the start or our CLL sessions (we have a focussed adult directed time every morning for CLL) Our ELG's this term are writing their own name and use and hold a pencil effectively but i need activities 1 per day for the next 6 weeks and I'm struggling. This is the first time I have tried to plan for a whole half term and its more difficult than I thought it would be!! (am still training on a GTP program). Any help would be very gratefully received.

jo

Hi Jo

I would think of activities to go with the topic first, rather than focusing on particular goals. What ever you do you will probably beable to think of some kind of writing activity to go with it. Sometimes I have writing activities that are not directly topic related - like whiteboards and markers for example - the children enjoy using them, so I don't think it matters that they're not linked to my topic.

Hope this helps

Debbie

thanks. thats kinda what I was asking though - what CLL activities I could use with the topic of toys. Any more ideas appreciated. So far I thought I could have a week of mark making using a variety of different materials and begin to form letters. then I could have a week of writng or ordering letters to form their own name. But this doesnt really fit in with toys at all and I cant really think of any activities on the topic of toys that fit in with CLL. Am I just being stupid and missing the point in my planning?? Finding this difficult.

thanks

jo

dogger by shirley hughes, oi get off my train, any robot type stories / action rhymes ...there has been a discussion on this if you look through, there is a toys mtp... :)

how about making labels for toys? This car belongs to............ etc

or make and write a get well card for Miss Polly's dolly

or a thank you letter for a special toy

53348[/snapback]

thanks, we could do the labels-the rest is a bit beyond us at the mo i think (working in special needs school).

what other CLL activities could link in with toys?

thanks for everyone's help

jo

thanks, we could do the labels-the rest is a bit beyond us at the mo i think (working in special needs school).

what other CLL activities could link in with toys?

thanks for everyone's help

jo

53355[/snapback]

they could draw the card and you could put the message inside for them to add their name?

same for the thank you letter do a pro forma on the pc and get everyone to add their name or make a huge class thank you card you scribe what the children want to say and let them add their own names.

books like

Dogger

Kippers toy box

Old Bear stories

Where's my teddy

The teddy robber

nothing

role play

toy shop............make signs labels

lost toy...............make posters

speaking and listening

talk about favourite toy and why

describe favourite toy to friend

phonics

toy initial letter search

will see if i can think of any more :)

thank you so much for all your help.

I am filling out a sort of short term plan - filling in activites of what we will do under each area each day for a week at a time (obviously some days I wont be planning for all the areas and I have included all the on going learning in my meduim term plans). Would it be ok to post it up here so see if people think I'm on the right track?

The classroom isnt set up very well at the moment and I'm not even keen on the daily timetable but I'm only a student there and so cannot change things that much yet! so i've planned for the way we do it now (quite a lot of structured activities). We also havent got areas set up in the classroom so havent planned for things like that.

thanks

jo

Hi Jo

of course you can post your plans. I am sure people will be only too glad to look and comment if that would help.

Do remember though that not all activities have to be topic led. Sometimes and particularly with CLL and MD you will find that you can not make the links, but if the activities are appropriate and fun that is ok. In fact I would say dont make tenuous links!!

Looks good to me, you have plenty of scope to react to the children and adapt things if you need to.

My other comment would be to rethink you name labels for toys, the idea is good but I wouldnt do this before the toys arrive! Perhaps they could label a space for their toy on a table with their own name before hand and then make the toy label for the toy when the toy is in school?

thank you so much. you dont know how nice it is to hear its not all wrong!!!! good idea about the labels. Thought that this way gave me room to look at a weeks over view and rearrange or adapt things if needed. Do you think I need to included the ELG's on this plan? They are on the medium term plan.

any other opinions welcome-good or bad?

I used to think of this sort of plan as a pacer and I wouldnt have included ELGs if they were elsewhere. You might want to work this again and put in more detail a week at a time, including the ELGs, then you can show your evaluations and why you are changing or adapting your plans.

Remember that planning is personal and you should not be afraid to change the format or the content!!!

Guest tinkerbell

Jo

Would your children be able to give you ideas about what they would like to do in the toy topic ?

personally my weekly plan nearly happens retrospectively as i am trying more and more to get their ideas into what learning goes on in the classroom.Lit and maths i do try and follow a main plan, but again ....

I asked the class what did they know about easter and TA wrote down thier ideas...chocolate and eggs was all.

i showed the class the DVD festivals Easter and asked what would they like to do for the week

we made a list

Easter egg hunt

decorate hard boiled eggs

make easter garden

make easter cards

read the easter story

visit the church

do big chalk drawing of eggs on the outside blackboards

make chocolate nests.

I was pretty impressed with their ideas and because I'd seen the DVD before hand I was ready with the stuff to start the Easter cards.

I made an A5 template of egg they chose card and drew round and decorated in repeating patterns (maths) with stickers,shiny bits felt tip pens etc.

All typed their Easter message on computer

etc etc I could tell you it all but hey it must be similar to evryone else.BUT from this wonderful week of well motivated children I told them we are doing Transport after easter....after explaining what transport is and making a list with them

I suggested we started with rocket well the ideas just blew me away, then when I mentioned a week on water we had the sinking of the Titanic 'with icebergs like weve made already!'and they were all so excited .can I keep up with them??

Children never fail to amaze me and I have taught for over 20 years!

I feel like I have rabbitted on and it all may be of no use to you Jo in your setting...Tinkerbellx

thanks tinkerbell-your class seem brillinat. Its a bit difficult in my setting with half of the class being non verbal and the other half wouldnt give you that amount of social interaction. But i think I could begin the week with a few activities and see what they respond best to and base it on that. Although they dont talk much their communication is quite good. I'm just not sure that the plans I have posted on here are detailed enough - shoud they included the ELG's. I'm just writing more detailed CLL and MD ones but its taking me forever!!

thanks for your help

jo

Guest tinkerbell

Jo

www.norfolkesinet.org.uk

look at the Norfolk planning for foundation stage?this is medium planning and then the final sheet is like a weekly overview.

You can fiddle and change things to suite your setting

Tinkerbellx

Edited by tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)