Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

FSF Event - Breakout Room Question 10 - What are your hopes for the future of the sector?

• 2 weeks later...

I could write a thesis!

To summarise, a sector that is seen for the real value it gives to children - during their early childhood and way beyond. We all know that if children have the best start, their future is happier, healthier and more economically stable (I'm preaching to the converted here, I know).

We need early years to be separate from politics, I think. We can't have successive governments changing everything every few years-I don't mean curriculums, assessment etc- they will always be changing- I mean the structure and funding of the sector. It needs to have long term aims and policies that are cross party, where settings get sufficient money to pay qualified and experienced staff a good salary so that they stay, continually develop their professionals skills, and get real career satisfaction. School teachers have a defined pay scale and I think early years teachers and practitioners should have the same.

• Like 1

Idealistically that children don't go to school until they are 6 /7...that all children with send have suitable and adequate support before they are 5 and that all early years staff get paid more than minimum wage. Also if more support was given to parents to allow them to stay at home for longer maybe that would help too ! 

Sorry you did say fantasy didn't you?

• Haha 1