Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Applying For Nursery Manager Job

HI

well the internal notice for the nursery managers job went up today in the staff room.... (has also gone up in the other nurseries too!!!). Myself and the deputy manger at our place are going to apply for the job, and i think that others from the other nurseries will apply.

we have been asked to apply in writing to the manager, but im not sure what to write.

they have not asked for a CV (on the letter) so i assume they don't want me to send a Cv in.

but what do i write in my letter....

do i mention my qualifications?, do i mention my experience so far none managerial, but 4 + years in supervisory role at another nursery.

do i say that i feel becoming manger would help me utilise my recently gained degree?, or do i leave that out.

do i say why i think im the best person for the job, and what i feel i could bring to the nursery?

~ i know these questions probably sound thick, but i want to get it right....., and hopefully at least get the chance for an interview....

any advice would really be appreciated.... for the managers here what would you like to see in a letter of application for a managerial job?

thanks in anticipation of your advice :o ,

Dawn

No, no job spec, other than to be qulaified with NNEB or NVQ 3 or 4 and to have knowledge of the foundation stage and birth to three matters....

i have knowledge of both, have worked with FS for years, but have only worked with BT3 for a few months, maybe that will let me down?, am also qualified with NNEB and Degree in childhood studies... so i don't know my chances, but nothing ventured nothing gained...

now i just have tof igure out what to write in the darn letter , lol

Dawn

How exciting!

Is there a job spec?

I own a Nursery I will try and post my Nursery Managers job deceiption on here for you to look at.

I am looking for a Manager at the moment as its too much for me to do full time. I know this is only my own personal view however I would be looking at things such as;

Asking you questions on how you would handle situations between staff

Ask you for examples where you have had to cope in a difficult situation what you did etc?

Most important to me how you come across in the interview- friendly efficient organised, confident full of ideas and drive! I know in my Nursery I lack leaders I have too many follows!

I've had a really tough day today so cant think off the top of my head let me try and get hold of some info for you!

Good luck and be yourself! Im sure you will be fine

HI

well the internal notice for the nursery managers job went up today in the staff room.... (has also gone up in the other nurseries too!!!). Myself and the deputy manger at our place are going to apply for the job, and i think that others from the other nurseries will apply.

we have been asked to apply in writing to the manager, but im not sure what to write.

they have not asked for a CV (on the letter) so i assume they don't want me to send a Cv in.

but what do i write in my letter....

do i mention my qualifications?, do i mention my experience so far none managerial, but 4 + years in supervisory role at another nursery.

do i say that i feel becoming manger would help me utilise my recently gained degree?, or do i leave that out.

do i say why i think im the best person for the job, and what i feel i could bring to the nursery?

~ i know these questions probably sound thick, but i want to get it right....., and hopefully at least get the chance for an interview....

any advice would really be appreciated.... for the managers here what would you like to see in a letter of application for a managerial job?

thanks in anticipation of your advice :o ,

Dawn

You'll be great. It's awful getting started, but once you do, it'll all flow out and you'll get carried away!

Just try to sell yourself. Don't point out that you haven't been a manager - just give all of your positive points. You have been a supervisor, so you have managed staff, etc, and been on the management team. Pad it out a bit with what this role entailed, including dealing with difficult times, but also being a positive role model for others and having an effect on positive changes.

Mention your qualifications and that you are keen to put them into practice in a managerial role.

Put about your experiences to date, and how you can use them in a managerial role.

Put about your visions and what you can bring to the nursery.

As for worrying about BT3 - don't. My BT3 knowledge is not great also. Don't point this out on the application though. It will be your application that gets you the interview. If they then ask you about it in interview (as they did me), then say that as a manager you would be looking to further your training, etc, in this area, but would be looking to utilise the expertise of staff that are competent in this area. Remember, you can't be better than everone at everything. You need to deploy staff correctly. E.g. a head teacher is not an expert on every subject and in every age group, which is why they appoint coordinators, etc.

Just SELL SELL SELL!!

Overall, what I have done before that has worked for me is to make a list of the things I want to say about, and then write next to them how I can apply them to a management post.

Also, be careful to use words such as 'I feel', or 'I think'. Instead, use words such as 'I am confident that..', or 'I will be able to apply this to the role of manager by ...' BE POSITIVE!!

Hope that helps a bit?, and that I haven't gone on too long?

Shelley

Well I'm a teacher so may not be on the right wave length but I would say yes to all your questions.

You need to sell yourself not leave them reading between the lines. So your qualifications and experiences are relevant, you have recently got a Degree so you proof you can learn anything you need to do the job.

Good luck!

Good advice so far.

Even though it is an 'internal' advert, write your introductory letter of interest for the post as if the people reading it know nothing about you. However, also include why you will be the best person to consider for interview by detailing how your skills, knowledge and attitude fit in with the company's ethos ( show that you clearly know their ethos).

Although it is hard to define, I look for the 'right' attitude from any applicants to my preschool. Anyone can do training, until the cows come home, but it is not necessarily the be all and end all to peoples aptitude, their attitude to learning and the profession of early years is most important. For example I recently recruited and had a very well qualified (on paper) candidate, however her attitude was not in fitting with my group, she saw children as little adults who need to conform and be taught rather than empty vessels who can absorb immense amounts of information when giving the opportunities for discovery, exploration and adult support, not adult direction. Now the above candidate may well be suited to another nursery's ethos and get the job, but not in mine. That is why knowing and showing how you personally fit in with the company's ethos is so important.

The 7 functions of management are;

Planning ( everything not just curriculum)- knowing what needs planning for ( short, medium and long term goals) and the best methods of setting and achieving plans - involving everyone in planning and evaluation.

Organising - getting things done, knowing how to priorities, delegate, monitor, chasing up, supporting others in achieving tasks set by you, etc.

Staffing - how you would deploy staff according to their specif weaknesses and skills, deal with conflict, praise and raise motivation levels, cover absences, relevant checks, discipline, how you will enable consistency and minimal staff turnover. etc.

Training How new and experienced staff are trained within the working day, Inductions, supervision meetings, appraisals, mentors, thought provoking staff meetings, reflective practice. etc

Co-ordinating - similar to above planning and organisation and this is where your communication skills really come in. Co-ordinating people at all levels of ability and understanding, co-ordinating events and projects.

Controlling This skill would ensure that all policies and procedures are monitored, maintained and reviewed. That staff and parents and employers know that you are a strong leader.

Directing You can take a horse to water but can you make him drink?? The skill of telling someone to do something and knowing they will do it because you know they can and because you told them to. You need respect of others to be able to direct them. you need to know that the person can do what you have directed them to do and that they can do it in the way / end result that you want. Clear leadership, clear expectations, clear consequences if expectations aren't met. Everyone may complain about being directed too much but on the other hand they will also complain if they don't know what is expected of them and where they stand.

I would suggest that you keep your letter of application as brief and succinct as possible, no more than 2 sides of A4, double spaced lines with good margins.

Can you think of a goal or project that the setting is working towards, maybe explain how you would achieve this through using all the above skills as an example of your ability to manage.

Get the right balance between 'professional' seriousness and showing your personality. Say you are good at giving and receiving constructive critisism ( but only if you mean it xD ). I always ask my applicants what do they expect from me as the employer. If you are not asked tell them why you want to work in this role for the company and what you hope to gain from the company. I value people who know what they want out of a job, this is as important to me as why they are good to work for me. I want to know that successful applicants will stay, they will only stay if my employment terms are suitable to them.

Your previous posts have shown that you are passionate about your work, you have dedicated time to study and develop your knowledge and your skills and I wish you all the best in your application. :)

Peggy

p.s. Wish the other work colleague applicant well, say that you hope that the most suitable person gets the job, as you will both need to work together after the results of the whole process. :(

Well I'm a teacher so may not be on the right wave length but I would say yes to all your questions.

You need to sell yourself not leave them reading between the lines. So your qualifications and experiences are relevant, you have recently got a Degree so you proof you can learn anything you need to do the job.

Good luck!

Sorry to disagree but not in every case does a degree mean you can learn everything you need to do the job. I employed someone partly because of her degree qualification level, only to find out that she had no initiative and didn't know how to do basic child observations :o I don't know which university offers a degree in common sense and initiative, but if there was one it would be kept very busy if it did. :( ( tongue in cheek)

Peggy

p.s. I do appreciate that you are endorsing Dawns ability to study and develop professionally, shown by achieving a degree.

Hi Dawn

What has been said before about drawing on your experience gained rom your supervisory role is very important. I would also say what you could additionally offer to the job, how you see the nursery developing, your vision, linking with your personal philosophy for early years.

Don't worry about the BT3, so many people are still finding their way, and that will just be an area for development, as we say with the children start from where they're at and build on from there! :D

Good luck

Jenny

Hi Dawn. I don't know if this will help, but I applied for a manager's job that I found on our local children's information service website. I have been qualified for almost a year now, with NVQ3 and Diploma in Early Years Practice Level 3. I had a brief spell as a deputy manager and have worked as baby room, toddler room and pre-school room leader . I have 7 (almost 8!!) years experience.

I applied for the job and was open and honest about my experience etc. I thought it was better not to tell little white lies, because they have a habit of catching up with you... xD

At my interview, I was asked how I would manage in certain situations, for example, dealing with staff conflict, deployment of staff, complaints, staff phoning in sick/failing to turn up etc. I was also asked how I would be able to relate to a new member of staff as a new manager to the setting; how would I make the staff member feel welcome, involved, part of the team etc. I was asked about appraisals and performance reviews (I had to blag my way through this bit... :o ).

I was asked about my knowledge of Birth to Three and the Foundation Stage, child protection issues, behavioural issues and SENCo issues.

As someone has already said (sorry can't remember who!) you really have to sell yourself. The thing that won it for me (I believe) was when I was asked what my weaknesses were. I told my interviewer that although I didn't have the experience she was looking for, I did have the qualifications and general early years expereince. This meant that I was able to adapt to the setting, I wasn't stuck in my ways and was open to new ways of developing the pre-school and the staff team.

My boyfriend was fantastic when I told him I had applied for the job and he gave me the best advice: always try to find a way of turning a negative into a positive.

I really hope you get the job, but as Peggy asid, bear in mind the other applicant, as you will have to still work together after the decision has been made. I'm sure you'll do brilliantly.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!! :D

Clare - you sound like you've got the same boyfriend as me!! That's what mine said!!

He's gone away today until Monday - is he with you by any chance??!!

No extra advice - what has already been said is pretty comprehensive. Just wanted to say 'good luck and just believe in yourself!'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)