Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Dressed For The Weather

During the very hot weather one of the boys wanted to take off his tee shirt. My gut reaction was to say no but are there actually any guidelines on this

(We are a preschool setting and this was indoors)

Al

I also say no to the children to this request. If they are wearing vests then i allow them to take their tee-shirts off and leave there vests on... but don't let them go 'topless'.

However we do not have a policy on this.

Dawn

Guest MaryEMac

I don't encourage stripping off because I don't think that playgroup is the place to do it. If they are playing outside we are trying to encourage them to keep their shoulders covered to prevent burning and inside we use fans to keep the room cool. We don't actually have a policy about this either. I think it is just a matter of common sense. if we had a policy to cover every eventuality we would be up to our necks in paper!!!!

Mary

Three years ago, during a very testing Ofsted Inspection, gone and forgotten now. A few children, boys and girls, took off their tops because they were hot, we didn't have fans and sun far too hot outdoors ( midday). We allowed it only to have the Inspector pull us up on it saying it was not appropriatte. I asked why, they asked did I not think it was a child protection issue. I must say I disagreed, I said we teach children self esteem and identity, part of this to be proud of their bodies, so how can we then say "Cover up". I also really wanted to ask them if their next stop was at the local swimming pool, to banish the shameful children into full 20's style costumes, but I didn't dare :o

This is one of those areas where i think you need to consider everyones values and beliefs, including staff, parents and children before writing a blanket policy.

Peggy

p.s. we also teach our children how to respond to recognise the changes in their bodies and attend to their personal needs, ie drink when thirsty, eat when hungry, independently going to the loo, and oh yes, removing clothes when hot or putting on clothes when cold. xD

I've recently started having physio on my knees. I didnt take any shorts on the frst visit and the physio was a bit flustered when I said I'd take my jeans off anyway, it was only like being on a beach. (well I didnt want to waste a visit) :( We all do it, think that there is a correct way of dressing in certain places, I personnaly love your response to Ofsted Peggy and really wish you'd asked about the local swimming pool! I also wish I could take my top off when I'm in a nursery with inadequate temperature control on really hot days, now I wouldnt, but I dont see why I should make the children suffer on a child protection issue a) because all the staff have a CRB and are involved in much more personal care when changing nappies etc, and xD because the children dont know what CP is and merely want to be comfortable, they are choosing to take their tops off, you are not forcing them to do so.

PS When I think about the thongs that are on show when staff bend down it makes me shudder :o

THONGS, now that is another issue, especially when they are flashed at job interviews :o ( well not the actual interview but when I ask applicants in for a play session prior to interview xD )..........................

and work experience students...thanks Rea, I just thought is was my age :D

Peggy

Thank god for tabbards!!! :o they hide the dreaded thongs and builders bums and also add extra cover for those of us who choose to wear bridgets xD:(:(

No Peggy, it's not your age. :D How anyone can think seeing a inch and a half of underwear dissappearing into the nether regions is attractive is beyond me. :o I've worked in settings who request no FCUK, trainers or jeans, I wonder what the response would be if 'no thongs on show' was a setting requirement xD

Rea,

I wonder what the response would be if 'no thongs on show' was a setting requirement

That made me chuckle :o I have worked in two settings that have had this request, because we saw far too many thongs as people crouched down, and lets say our children were very inquisitive xD

Dawn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)