Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Nappy Bins

Hi.

Having just read Myhenroxanne's post about her rubbish dilemma, I was having a little think and was wondering about nappy bins. Not the Sangenic ones indoors, but the collection of contaminated waste.

At a nursery I worked in, we used to dispose of our nappy bins into those big metal bin things and the bin men would collect them as they do with usual 'household' waste. This went on for ages, until one day, the bin men knocked at the door and announced that they weren't taking the bins anymore, because they couldn't tell which bins had nappies in. We then had a problem getting rid of the nappies because we couldn't get anyone to take them, and we couldn't really afford to pay for the special collectors to come round and pick them up.

Is it true that bin men don't need to take nappies? We even tried using different coloured bags, so they could identify them, but they still insisted that they couldn't take them.

Sorry for the long post, but you should all know by now that I'm a stickler for asking long winded questions!

hmmmm, sat here wondering how you did get rid of the nappies when the bin men wouldn't take them, who drew the short straw and had to take them home to dispose of them????

we don't have this problem, some nurseries that i have worked at have had seperate bins (and bags) for the nappies, but most nurseries just put them in one large bin (normal black bag)and they get collected with the normal waste... maybe it is just a thing in the area that you are in??

I can't see why bin men can't take nappies, i mean they are secured in a bag so no chance of any contamination of any sorts..

and whilst were talking of bins, do nurseries have to have the sangenic nappy bins, or is it okay to simply place nappy in nappy sack and then in the normal bin in the room????

Dawn

We have a seperate bin, and a seperate contract with a company who take our nappies away. I believe we were told by someone (can't remember who) that they had to be properly disposed of. Probably just someone trying to rip us off :o

Hi

At my nursery - which is just being set up, we are intending to offer the parents 'eco' nappies which are compostable. We will have to have two nappy disposal systems - one for the 'Pampers' type nappies, and for the compostable type. The owners (who also live next to site) will compost them on their land. We are going to run the nursery with as much care of the planet (and therefore of benefit to the children we feel) as possible - i.e. recycling as much as possible, eco friendly cleaning products along side organic home grown food.

Anyway - does anyone else out there use 'eco' disposable nappies ? (can't think of the actual name of them). If so, what was the 'take up' by parents, did they like them, how did the system work. Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Monica

We have no nappy bin and so I'm afraid soiled nappies are double bagged and returned to parents at the end of session - hasten to add we are with 2-3 year olds and most of the children are able to use the toilet with only a few children wearing nappies, not a nice area for parents to wait when we have a few nappies to return!! :o Not ideal situation but meets regulations for us.

Hi Shirel. Are you talking about reusable nappies or disposables? In some areas, ours included, you are actually paid to use reusable nappies. The local council come round and collect them, clean them and return them to you. You also get given something like £30 for doing so. Might be worth looking in to?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)