Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Assessment For Learning

We have recently had a learning walk by the SMT and as a result they have 'suggested' read implied that we need to have some form of evidence to show the childrens reflection of thier OWN learning. I can see the point of it (?) but am lacking of ideas and how to manage it.

they have suggested that the children have a workbook where they record any major discoveries in they child initiated play = how would anyone else go about recording this - we are still in the planning stage so will welcome ANY ideas at all

Thanks - much appreciated

Sarah xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

I can also see that children reflecting on their learning could be very valid, but also see the dilemma of how they can do this during child initiated play, because if they stop their play to record 'their learning' it is then interupted by an adult focus.

Every day for the last term, I have asked my grandson when taking him to school, "What do you think you might learn today?", when he gets home I ask, "What did you learn today?" I do this in many ways, and not in a manner that puts pressure on him for an answer. The response each time, before and after school is "I dunno" ( he is only just 5). When he gets stickers he doesn't know, remember / or chooses not to tell me how / why he got one.

So, how do children recognise (and record) the difference between play and what they have actually learnt? We have to think about the terminology we use with children to elicit information, emphasising more about what they have enjoyed, discovered and use adult interaction at the time of learning to verbalise the learning to the child so that they can further internalise it.

My only suggestions would be to have a few child user friendly digital camera's and access to quick turnaround from taking to printing. Maybe the highscope - Plan, do, revue approach is something that could also be considered.

Good Luck, let us know what you come up with and how it works in practice.

Peggy

Hmm... have the SMT actually tried working in Reception?

I agree with Peggy, probably photos and oral review of what the children have learnt/ been doing. Maybe introduce "I can..." statements and let the children draw a smiley face when they feel they've achieved the statement?

Hi

Our Y1 children colour code any recorded work - red, amber or green depending on their opinion of their learning in that work etc. Is there a way that kind of approach could be used - while reflecting with children they could colour code simple statements or something? Ours have to colour code their success criteria, but we don't do any 'formal' reflection on child initiated activity like that.

I work in a day nursery, but was thinking of suggesting that we introduce something along the lines of a chart with the childrens names and their recognition picture, stuck by each area i.e. home corner, sand play, water play, investigation area etc. etc with a photo of the area and the focussed activity in that area (if there is one), and on tables which have specific activities and in the outside area.

Depending on the child's level of independence, they coud either select a smiley, sad or OK type sticker to stick next to their name/picture to indicate their level of enjoyment of the activity on offer/the area generally. Less independent children could be encouraged to place a sticker by staff or helped to if they wish, during 'circle reflection time'.

The idea being that children are learning most from the activities/areas they enjoy most - of course if they are able to recall what they enjoyed most during their day, they can share this during 'reflection time' and staff can record this, perhaps encouraging the child to add his/her own marks to the observation, in this way the child also learns that they are able to make their likes/dislikes known through writing and recording and that adults will be interested and act upon their wishes.

Sorry to waffle so, but hope you get the gist of this idea - does anyone use such a system and do you think it works/is workable and valuable or not? Positive and negative comments welcomed!

Mon

Oooops! Just re read your post and realise they are interested only in the child initiated play and I've gone on about focussed activities, sorry - but the system could still be used in each different area and the children rate their enjoyment and hence learning, but of course this is not specific......

I'm sure someone will come up with a brilliant idea. - I also think photos would be great.

Mon

We do a thing called '3 stars and a wish' at the end of the day as a peer assessment - choose one child's work or something they have done during the day e.g. build a model, written in the role play area, painted etc we vary choice daily. We then as a class give it 3 stars (say three nice things about it) and then a wish (on how s/he could make it even better tomorrow). At first the children found it difficult but now they love it and come up with really could comments. We also do the photo thing but by the time we've printed them out they have forgotton what they were doing!! It is very difficult I sympathise totally!

Kat xx

I really like Kats 3 wishes idea (think I will pinch it myself!)

I a Reception class I worked in as a TA, we carried (adults) cameras around & simply caught children in the moment. Bit radom I admit. These photos were placed on a display board with annotated captions saying what happened etc. The board was placed were parents collect children also. Children loved looking at and consequently stimulated dialogue.

In the class I am about to teach we are going to have books of achievement to place 'significant moments'.

Know you probrably don't want to troll through it, but the 'excellence & enjoyment' address's this in their pack. There is some pretty cool video clips of teacher/ children sharing & reflecting upon there learning and useful ideas of how to store/ organise (if you have room)!

Skylight

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)