Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Operational Plan / National Standards

HI

I have been on a national standards training course today, and the lady doing the course showed us an example of an operational plan. compared to ours it was relativly thin.

Our operational plan has loads in, mostly rubbish i might add,,,...... we have policies in there, yet we have a seperate policy folder at work (with the same policies as the ones in the operational plan)

we have examples of our planning in there, yet planning can be located in the rooms anyway.

so what is in yours?....

also another reccomendation on the course was to have 14 folders one for each of the national standards, and in each of those folders include copies of policies that relate to each standard, and examples of practices that meet the standards... do other settings work like that?, is it feasable do you think to do this?

and how would those 14 folders fit in with the 5 outcomes?

Dawn

Edited by Guest

before I got to your last sentence I was going to suggest have a folder for each of the 5 outcomes, to me this is the 'new' thinking, and way forward.

My experience of Inspection is linked to the 5 outcomes rather than the 14 national standards. They incorporate everything FSC, BTTM and standards, plus your own individual ethos.

What the actual operational plan looks like, I don't know because it is one of those jobs I'm always going to start, but before I do get going on producing one, another change occurs either within my own operations or government initiatives. I've never been asked to show mine either. :( WHO READS THEM ANYWAY :oxD

My personal priority now is a 3 year business plan.

1/ I need it as a condition of receiving the educational funding and

2/ I need one to apply for Transformation Fund to do my degree.

Peggy

Our operational plan folder is very heavy!! We have put all the policies in, then sectioned of for the standards. In each standards section we have answered the bullet points from the standards booklet and said how we cover each one. Each standard or section from the operational plan is cross referenced to policies or other standards. Our E Y advisor has borrowed this for other settings to view.

The outcomes have not been cross referenced as yet but we have created documents which explain how we meet these etc.

The whole operational plan/ standards folder/ outcomes has taken us 2 1/2 terms to complete, by having weekly meetings. We as staff looked at the standards folder one section at a time. It seamed a great task to begin with & I thought well if Ofsted arrive and it's not completed then at least they can see we are working in the right direction. And of course now it is done..... we have to review it all over again! At the front of the huge folder I kept a record of each standard number and the date we reviewed the standard and staff members whom attended just as a back up incase ofsted appered before it was completed.

Then after all of this hard work you must remember to leave your folder out so all parents etc can view it. Todate no one has moved our folder, but i check it every session incase it goes missing coz then we would have to start again!!

This folder should have it's own risk assement done on it as I'm sure it's hazardous to your back, eyes, brain and printer!!!

Ours sounds similar to those that have been mentioned, big, heavy, crammed full of the five outcomes, sub-categorised into 14 standards and anything else relevant, I agree it is a health risk just lifting it out of the filing cabinet, but Ofsted did look at it all at our inspection and were complimentary, we never look at it, only to record our fire drills! (Or if we need a door stop! :o )

Hi Shirel, I have this werid theory... If the inspector has loads to get through then they might just miss the two live wires having a fight in the corner! all joking aside I do tend to panic and have a mental block when asked questions, but with a well organised file I can quickly give a well thought out response. I'm sure that it is an Ofsted requirement to have a operational plan, if i remember right it is a little paragraph in the standards guidance that transforms it self into the door stop as described!!!!

Hi Shirel, I have this werid theory... If the inspector has loads to get through then they might just miss the two live wires having a fight in the corner! all joking aside I do tend to panic and have a mental block when asked questions, but with a well organised file I can quickly give a well thought out response. I'm sure that it is an Ofsted requirement to have a operational plan, if i remember right it is a little paragraph in the standards guidance that transforms it self into the door stop as described!!!!

Is it not also an Ofsted requirement to have two live wires having a fight in the corner, only so that they can comment in their report about your 'positive behaviour management' strategies????? :o:DxD:(

Peggy

There is some guidance on writing Operational Plans here.

Something I need to get round to doing also!

Edited by Guest

Someone earlier on this post asked how to put the 14 standards into five outcomes - it tells you how and where to put them in the booklet 'Are you ready for inpspection'

i think the folders are a good idea - better than causing a muscular injury trying to pick up the operational plan!!!!

Dont know if i should say this but dont have an 'operational plan' as such, just lots of folders holding relevant paperwork. ie staff folder, policies, H&S with risk assessments, equal Opps, Child protection etc etc, all together in a filing cabinet which we just give ofsted access to. Makes updating very easy and we just change the pages when needed.

I have never been asked for one, recent Ofsted never asked for one but the one thing she did use and read thoroughly was our Accreditation folder, and our annual update for accreditation.

Inge

Hi Janie,

Have I read it correctly your nursery is based in a zoo, sounds interesting. Where are you based?

Yes Jackie,

My nursery is based in Blackpool Zoo

Janie

HI Sue R,

Yes it is me in the practical pre-school diary. It is all about how the nursery was set up and what I had to go through to get it up and running.

Hope you enjoyed reading my diary.

We also had a small feature in Nursery World and have been on the BBC website, German BBC TV, American TV and also in the local papers alot due to our 'Zoo-nique' Nursery.

ANd it has now been confirmed that we are the only children's nursery in a Zoo in the World!!!!!!

Janie :D

HI All,

Sorry to make you all so jealous but yes I do love my job. Having 32 acres of backgarden with 1500 animals to look at and use for our planning is great and makes the job easier really. We have the elephants looking in one of the rooms every snack time as they smell the fresh fruit.

All of my team really love working there and you cant ignore the fact of the elephants walking past everyday as they go to their playfield, they are a big distraction!!!

We also have the education team come in with mini beasts and what ever we want as they are so knowledgable about the animals and also have a vets on site so when we do the animals topic we dont have to go far for a real vets surgery!!!!

It is a fantastic environment to work in and our first Ofsted went really well and the inspector even enjoyed going out on a real bear hunt with the pre-school. THey found the red panda and took pictures of their find.

It is a great location for a nursery and I am so glad I was involved in setting it up and now managing the only nursery in a zoo in the world.

Sorry if you are all green but I only applied for a job!!!

Take Care

Janie :D

fantastic janie, I'm sure you are not quite aware just how envious we all are [well me at least] good for you enjoy

Hi

Did ours earlier this year, using the five outcomes subdivided by the National standards. We also have a separate planning file and a file for letters and newsletters as it's easier to file and retrieve the letters this way. Think 5 files for the outcomes would be a good idea, ours is so heavy and has come apart once already.

Deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)