Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

0 To 2's Planning

Does anyone work in a setting where 0 to 2s are in the same room?

Do you do separate plans for the 0 to 1s and the 1s to 2s, or is it all on one plan?

I may not be popular, but surely your planning is driven by your observations of the children?

Do you have keyworker groups, because that's really the way forward if you are planning for 0-2 in the same room, otherwise it'll be chaos!

So, keyworker planning is really the only sort you need?

Just put out stuff, or things the children have liked and follow thier lead - you can always fill in planning retrospectively!

Sue

PS - have you tried heuristic play??

I agree with Sue on this one! If your are putting out equipment that the children like, this is better than writing structured plans. Also if you find the older children are beginning to tire of a certain thing, they can be encouraged to choose something else.

We used two BTT 'planning' sheets for the children, one for the small ones and one for the bigger ones according to the BTT groups (Shamefully, I can't remember the name of the second group, but the first one is , I think, Heads Up, Lookers and Communicators) and we did as Sue said, filled them in retrospectively.

Also agree with heuristic play. Our children loved exploring the different materials and seeing what they could do with them!

It appears that I have come into a setting, that has been open 2 years, and observations are non-existent. Planning has been done on a "what shall we get out on Thursday?" basis.

At present, both a 6 month old and a nearly 2 year play with the same thing "because the planning says so", and "they're all in 1 room so come under 1 plan"!!!!!

I really have got a lot of hard work. Luckily I have some brill staff who are completed committed to starting again with it all - and fully understand the reasoning behind it all; but I also have the same amount who are of the good old attitude that "well the last manager said this was ok".

Have got loads of advice off the forum, and a brilliant member of staff who has changed the 2 to 3 room round completely in just a few months, and is on exactly the same wavelength as me. It's the 0 to 2 room that is going to be the challenge, and is going to require a lot of training, etc.

So in answer to your question Sue - no the planning isn't driven by the children's observations - but bl00min well will be soon!

Have you got a BTTM advisor for your area, maybe she could come in on one of your staff meetings and introduce the concept of heuistic play, advice on what equipment and environment and what adult interaction is most suited for the under 2's. She may have training vidoes or handouts / articles that could inspire the staff. I would use this person as a resource, she will have lots of information and advice that she can tailor to your setting and your settings needs.

Good luck with the dinosaurs :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)