Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Colouring Sand

Hi all,

Hope you are having a good first week. Was wondering if anyone knew if and how you can colour sand. That is normal sand, I need it coloured. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance.

Flowerxxxxxx

Sorry cant help with doing your own, all I know is that it involves your oven. B&Q were selling coloured sand last year. £5/6, it came in pink, purple, blue, green and yellow. My local pound shop sells decorative coloured sand if you dont need much, a bit coarse but nice colours. :D

Hi Flower.

I did this once but it was a long and painful process, as my manager at the time wouldn't let me put the sand in the nursery oven. She claimed it was a health and safety issue, but I think it was more out of spite than anything (we really didn't get on!) so I took a large mixing bowl, filled it with sand, added food colouring and then piled some paper plates with the sand. I then stuck it in the airing cupboard, as near to the boiler as I could and let the heat from the boiler dry it out. Took a couple of days though!

I am pretty sure there is a previous conversation about this somewhere in the forum (although it might have referred to rice/pasta), but I did a quick search and was unable to find it. Hopefully someone will know what I mean and point you in the right direction!

I attempted it about two years ago - it was a disaster, like Hali says I think you would be better off buying it, I might get some too, thanks for the idea. :D:D

Could you use salt instead?

At fun club this year we made sand bottles where you fill small bottles with different layers of coloured sand, however we ran out of sand. If you put salt in a container and rub like mad with coloured chalk the salt coloures very quickly and did the job. I was thinking of making some more for use in the shallow trays.

reminds me of a time I coloured some wood shavings, can even remember what I used but I do remember leaving it in the oven overnight on the lowest heat to dry. Hubby was not impressed. :o

The powder paint looks like the easiest option. Let us know what you try and how successful it is, wont you?

Peggy

Hi,

Thanks whitetree, what a lovely easy idea. That's what I'm going to do. I need quick, easy and effective resources. I spent too much time last year during my NQT year making and buying resources. About time I took a breather. THanks all.

Flowerxxxxxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)