Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Plasters

Hi Beth!

Yes, they're the best alternatives to latex, more comfortable than vinyl which don't 'give' as well as latex. - think they are 'blue nitrile'? It's the hospital alternative of choice!

Sue.

PS - adding this later - I've picked up some pink nitrile gloves today at Sainsbury's, heavier duty for more 'intense' cleaning jobs at home!! - hmm, beginning to sound like a fashion column!! :o

Guest MaryEMac

Welcome cup OT.

We state on our enrolment form which plasters we use and parents then indicate if this will be a problem. I have to say that we don't use many plasters bur occasionally we put one on a finger if there is a hang nail which the child won't leave be, Even then it usually falls off the next time they wash their hands!! Mostly cold water proves to be a good cure.

Mary

You've all made me think hard and review what we do. We have hypo allergenic plasters in our first aid - St Johns Ambulance never told us not to use them. I also occasionally put them in our roleplay Dr's Kit - 29p economy Tesco's ones - clearly says on box hypo-allergenic too. Is this ok.. we encourage the children to use them on the dolls, not themselves.

What about sellotape or masking tape in the creative corner - that's got adhesives and my daughter told me 50,000 people in the uk are allergic to sellotape!!!! (statistic from that free Family magazine in the ELC)

I think I'm confused :o

I also think I need to stand still, stop and think...............................

I can't wrap the children up in cotton wool ( or bubble wrap for that matter) because it may cause an allergic reaction or cause cotton wool fibres to rest inside orifices or broken skin xD

I have sworn an oath ( well that what it feels like) "To keep safe from harm all children within my care, to administer 1st aid to maintain health and well being"

I am an adult, I have common sense, YET I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS 100% SAFE OR NOT. What I do know is what is in the best interest of the child and family ( definately not parent trips to school, out from work, to put plasters on child)

In the best interest of the child I will seek to know as much as I can about each individuals health care needs.

In the best interest of the family I will give them the confidence that I can look after their child by not asking them to administer 1st aid for me ( or why bother getting 1st aid qualifications)

I will share information with parents.

I will put into perspective the terms ALLERGIC and INTOLERANT

Using the knowledge I know about the child, I will risk assess with EACH INDIVIDUAL CHILD which is the safest and healthiest method to use to treat cuts and grazes.

I am 1st aid qualified and I have been trained to deal with allergic reactions. ie: on the first sign of an allergic reaction I will phone 999 and get medical diagnosis and treatment for the child.

One evening I had an allergic reaction, no rash, no itching, no nothing apart from my throat swelling up and difficulty breathing. i went to the hospital. i still don't know what I am allergic to.

In our settings we have 1000 and 1 things that could cause an allergic reaction, we cannot take everything (plasters, cellotape, rubber bands, gloves, natural and synthetic materials) away and place children into 'allergic free zones' . Just be ready to deal with reactions.

Peggy

I think the whole idea Peggy is that we remove ALL risks (now dont ask me how) and we dont do anything that might cause a reaction from the children (god forbid they smile laugh get dirty just incase) Maybe we should all buy those sterile bubbles they have in hospitals and place the children inside and let them stay there safe from anything and everything just in case

Yes, it's a MINEFIELD!! isn't it??!!

I think the best idea is to stick to a 'safe middle ground', whilst trying to be aware of all possible alternatives.

Peggy - my response to latex is similar to your allergic reaction. No rash etc, just irritation, leading to swelling of lips (eyes, too, if they've had contact - and I mean eyeballs!! Weird and scary when you wear contact lenses, can't get them out quick enough!!), and throat, leading to difficulty breathing , with attendant faintness if not treated soon. I used to be able to control it with anti-histamines, but it's becoming progressively worse, hence the epipen. And yes, sellotape also sets me off, as do rubber bands..... :o

Sue

PS, I believe it's St John Ambulance, not St John's. Sue J (I believe) put us right a while ago!

Yes, it's a MINEFIELD!! isn't it??!!

I think the best idea is to stick to a 'safe middle ground', whilst trying to be aware of all possible alternatives.

Peggy - my response to latex is similar to your allergic reaction. No rash etc, just irritation, leading to swelling of lips (eyes, too, if they've had contact - and I mean eyeballs!! Weird and scary when you wear contact lenses, can't get them out quick enough!!), and throat, leading to difficulty breathing , with attendant faintness if not treated soon. I used to be able to control it with anti-histamines, but it's becoming progressively worse, hence the epipen. And yes, sellotape also sets me off, as do rubber bands..... :o

Sue

PS, I believe it's St John Ambulance, not St John's. Sue J (I believe) put us right a while ago!

The only thing the hospital could suggest as the cause for my throat swelling was an INTOLERANCE to sunshine due to over exposure during the years. They gave me anti-histermine. We considered keeping an anti-histermine in our 1st aid box but then thought best not administering non prescribed drugs etc. I do think we should all be more aware of how to treat allergic reactions. I'm just thankful I'm not allergic to children :D

Peggy

On the recent training I attended, this was raised and we came to an agreed concensus that if a child came into the setting with a plaster on and it was subsequently lost or damaged which could cause the wound to be infected, we would be allowed to replace it.

If a child cut themselves during the course of our care, we would only use a plaster as a last resort (sterile dressings and tape being the preferred option) and would contact the parents to see if there was a known allergy before applying a plaster.

LJW - four triangular bandadages are on the list as they can be used as pressure pads to control blood flow, slings, bandages... we ended up like egyptian mummies on our course after discovering the range of uses (hopefully, you would never have to use all four at once!)

What a lovely picture you paint Running Bunny!

Speaking personally my own children are disgustingly healthy and never had anything particular wrong with them, due in part to the fact that I haven't wrapped them in cotton wool and they have definitely built up healthy immune systems in the home environment (put yukky things in their mouths, eaten a biscuit that fell on the kitchen floor, tasted the paint, licked the soap, played with slugs, snails, made mud pies........) although I agree with Peggy that we are very responsible in Nurseries and risk assess everything. Lets keep it all in perspective eh?

we were told on our first aid course, not to use cotton wool or lint or tissues as they all leave bits in the wound and can cause infections.We DO use plasters if necessary, though(touch wood!!) this is rarely necessary and we have parental permission to use them first....they all sign to say if it's ok.I always buy hypo-allergenic ones.We also throw out and first aid stuff which has a "use-by" date and buy fresh.

we were told on our first aid course, not to use cotton wool or lint or tissues as they all leave bits in the wound and can cause infections.We DO use plasters if necessary, though(touch wood!!) this is rarely necessary and we have parental permission to use them first....they all sign to say if it's ok.I always buy hypo-allergenic ones.We also throw out and first aid stuff which has a "use-by" date and buy fresh.

That's a useful reminder narnia, use by date, see too many directives filling up my old grey memory cells and I forget the basics :oxD

We seal our 1st aid box so that we can take a quick look to see if anything needs replacing ( if sealed nothing used :( ) if seal broken then most probably something needs replacing. Now I need to remember to write use by dates on the 'seal' label. :D

I'm of the age that everything needs a list or check list or needs writing down. I did buy a dictaphone recorder but I can't remember where I've put it ( seriously that's not a joke :( ) back to the pen and paper :( sorry digressing.....but that is why I can't keep up with all these recommendations. xD

Peggy

p.s. If anyone finds a lost dictaphone IT'S MINE :D

...and most probably with my mobile phone which has also disappeared. :wacko:

The only thing the hospital could suggest as the cause for my throat swelling was an INTOLERANCE to sunshine due to over exposure during the years. They gave me anti-histermine. We considered keeping an anti-histermine in our 1st aid box but then thought best not administering non prescribed drugs etc. I do think we should all be more aware of how to treat allergic reactions. I'm just thankful I'm not allergic to children :D

Peggy

I developed a severe reaction to sunlight following the birth of my son and have to take anti histamines and use total sunblock even in winter. We have a little girl in nursery at the moment who also has an alleric reaction to sunlight

Edited by Marion

I developed a severe reaction to sunlight following the birth of my son and have to take anti histamines and use total sunblock even in winter. We have a little girl in nursery at the moment who also has an alleric reaction to sunlight

Were your symptoms similar??? I only had the one reaction but it did make sense, I was one of those people who never wore sunblock and also spent 6 months in portugal (20 yrs ago) out in the sun everyday. I still love the sun but use sun block like it is a second skin. :o

Would you administer anti-histermine to the girl in your school??

I think anti-histermine will be as common as asthma inhalers within the next decade.

Peggy

Were your symptoms similar??? I only had the one reaction but it did make sense, I was one of those people who never wore sunblock and also spent 6 months in portugal (20 yrs ago) out in the sun everyday. I still love the sun but use sun block like it is a second skin. :o

Would you administer anti-histermine to the girl in your school??

I think anti-histermine will be as common as asthma inhalers within the next decade.

Peggy

Yes initially had breathing problems also exposed areas swell up. I lived in the states for some time in my teens and lived in shorts and a t shirt.

I would only administer anti histamines with written parental consent which we require for all medicines including inhalers.

• 1 year later...

Just digging up an old post - I hope you don't mind. I went to put a plaster on a child today as she had a small cut to her finger, then I changed my mind. What is the latest advice about plasters? As long as they're hypo-allergenic etc are we allowed to use them? Do we need specific parental permission to use them? On their registration form there is a 'is your child allergic to anything', but is it enough to ask that?

Thanks!

We put plasters on because you need to keep cuts covered to prevent the cross contamination of blood to other people or resources (and as long as the wound is clean to start with it will keep out germs too) On a recent first aid course we were told to only use "island" plasters eg. the ones with the sticky part surrounding the gauze to keep the wound sealed inside.

Hi Jo

Not surprised you hesitated these things change so frequently don't they, yes, no, yes, no, yes!

We have something on our registration form to ask if we can apply hypoallergenic plasters.

At our recent first aid training in January, I seem to remember the first aid trainer saying we had to apply plasters because the risk of infection was greater than the allergy risk but I can't say that with any conviction, I know it was only January!

He did also say we should have all sorts on our registration form to cover ourselves such as if your child chokes on something can I give them 3 backslaps followed by ........ not that we have done that.

I'm currently attending first aid training and last week we were all told that plasters should be in the first aid box and they should be used to cover open wounds. Parents/carers should give written permission.

Sally

Hi Jo

Not surprised you hesitated these things change so frequently don't they, yes, no, yes, no, yes!

We have something on our registration form to ask if we can apply hypoallergenic plasters.

At our recent first aid training in January, I seem to remember the first aid trainer saying we had to apply plasters because the risk of infection was greater than the allergy risk but I can't say that with any conviction, I know it was only January!

He did also say we should have all sorts on our registration form to cover ourselves such as if your child chokes on something can I give them 3 backslaps followed by ........ not that we have done that.

On my emergency consent part of my registration form,(example in resource library) for ambulance etc, I also ask for permission for first aiders to carry out first aid, I would hope that would cover the 'back slap' scenario, otherwise we'd need to list all aspects of administering 1st aid, ie: remove a splinter etc.

Fortunately in 23 yrs of working in childcare I've only had one child go to hospital for a small split on his eyebrow ( knock to edge of chair, well he did jump off a table!!) other than that only cold compress, plasters (latter years) and lots of cuddles (all the time). xD

My one most worrying experience was a child who was accidently kicked in the head ( whilst rolling about on the carpet) by another child wearing 'heavy' shoes, the child sustained concusion which didn't show until 30 mins after the event whilst on the journey home from preschool he started vomiting violently. :o

Head injuries to me are my worst worry.

Incidently, I've had more accidents in 12 mths with my 4 foster children at home than my 23 yrs in preschools.!! and we have rigid H&S procedures at home too.

Peggy

Guest MaryEMac

Since this post first started we have changed what we do. Our 1st aid trainer said that we were not to use plasters. He suggested using individual tissues from a pocket pack to cover the wound and have the child hold it ( he obviously hasn't spent much time in a playgroup !!). We do use tissues but secure with sellotape as long as the tape doesn't touch the skin. We have only had to do this once in the last two years. He also told us that the county have banned plasters, but the school next door are still using them.

Mind you he also told us that there is no need to ask for parental permission, on the enrolment form, to seek medical help or take a child to hospital. :o

It is a worry though with all the conflicting advice.

Mary

arggggg! Is this another early years myth? (see suncream thread) Are we so worried about doing it right, that we loose sight of why we do what we do?

if a child is bleeding, we cover it.

we have parental consent to give first aid and if a plaster fits, use it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allergies can occur over anything, at anytime, we can't foresee everything.

If worried, sterile dressings and micro-pore tape is safer and cheaper and recommended by NHS.

:oxD:(:(:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)