Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

What Do You Advise?

:o Ok, I had a parent telephone me last week to say he was moving his child to another group.Nothing wrong with ours, he assured me, just the other one was cheaper and he couldn't see any difference, so he thought he'd save the money.Fair enough, I suppose, it's his right, even though they had only recently moved to the area and the child was settling nicely.

So, I sent a bill for the month, including his notice period(which he hadn't given me), and today I had a phone call from him, virtually foaming at the mouth, telling me he had "issues" with me, it wasn't fair to charge him and I hadn't told him there was a notice period.So, I explained it was usual to ask for one month's notice when a child was to be moved and this HAD been explained at initial interview/look round, it was in our brochure, AND they had signed our fees policy, which clearly spells this out.Further rant ensued and I went through it all again, explaining that the new group also has a similar policy in place, plus the fact that this is head count week and I might have to pay back some of his grant , because he won't obviously be signing his child in to us now and i had included him in our projected numbers.If this was the case, i'd be losing money there too, so felt it fair to charge for the month.By this time, I really thought he was going to explode, and then...........he said, "well, my son had an accident at your group and you did nothing about it, and I'm very angry, you didn't even put it in the accident book".Now, the truth is, his son has NEVER at any time, had any kind of accident with us and I said so, but he then said "yes, but I asked your staff about it andthey said they didn't know anything about an accident and that's not good enough".Naturally, i said that of course they wouldn't know about any accident if one hadn't occurred and I knew nothing had happened because I have been present on every occasion the child had been with us.So, just before he slammed the phone down on me, he screeched that he was putting all this in writing and we'll see!! So, what would you have done??If he wries to Ofsted and makes a false accusation, what do I do about it?If he refuses to pay, I guess I can go to small claims......................(but, the irony is this man claims to own two nurseries in London and wants to open one in our village too...........is he just trying to stir up trouble, do you think??)

Hi Narnia, How quickly things can escalate when you are dealing with parents!!

I don't know about your local authority but in Kent you can't charge funded children fees if they leave your setting to move somewhere else. We get the NEG for their time with us and as soon as they leave the NEG moves with them. So if we had a child for 8 sessions we would get £8.22 x 8.

The period of notice for us ceases as soon as the child becomes funded and we just have to get on with it.

As for your conversation with the parent all you can do is make detailed notes of it so that if OFSTED do knock on your door you can quote the exact conversation. Its very frustrating. Sorry I can't offer more advice.

Hi Narnia Poor you - none of us ever know what a day will bring. Mostly it is great but just sometimes ....... I agree that you should at this stage keep very detailed notes of conversations plus notes of any checks you have done with staff re 'accident' Was the child with you on headcount day? In our county that is the significant thing. As the parent is in the process of opening a nursery could he have been just sussing out the opposition? I am so sorry for you. None of us need these sorts of extra stress. Chocolate or wine tonight?

Hi, yes I have checked with all the staff that there was no accident, but I have been there myself on days he came anyway, so i know there wasn't.....just good to have back-up.I put the child on my projected numbers list for two days a wek, so have received 60% of that funding already, but he isn't here now for headcount(ours is this week), so the 60% for him will be deducted from our remainder.As we're a tiny group, every penny counts too.We ask for one month's notice from all parents, funded or otherwise, if they attend for more than the core 2 1/2 hours, which he did.Nightmare.I have telephoned Ofsted to ask what to do and they agree, keep all notes about call and make sure all policies, procedures, accident book are ready and waiting for them to see in case of further action.It just makes me cross though that this parent can if he wishes, make a false allegation which would then be recorded on our file, even when we're cleared of any wrong-doing.And of course, if he goes ahead with his plan to open one of his own, he's made us look bad in the process!

Oh Narnia, you must be feeling really sad at this. But as said before, make detailed notes of the conversation/telephone call you received, dated and if possible countersigned by a colleague. Also may be worth photocopying his signed fees policy to keep with your notes.

If the parent was eligible to pay fees, (i'd check this out first) and your Policy states a notice period (which he had agreed to) then do follow it up with first a polite letter, thanking him for his concerns re; notice period, mentioning the places where the fees policy is stated eg brochure / introductory visit etc. state amount of fees due and a copy of the policy which the child's parents signed, include a date by which payment should be received. Add a bit about failure to pay may result in taking this matter further /seeking legal advice / small claims court etc. Keep the 'fees' issue completely seperate from the 'accident' issue. You could always write a seperate letter re the 'accident' issue, thanking parent for his concerns arising from an alleged accident, however, explain the situation re; no accident occurring. Write brief line re; taking all accidents seriously and if an accident had occurred all staff are fully aware of following the Accident Policy and informing the parents at the close of session. Then inform the parent of the Complaints Procedure of your setting - (brief and to the point), if he 'wishes to put something in writing'. Keep photocopies of all letters sent, and always write in a truly professional manner. Don't enter into writing 'in anger' although you must be feeling it!

Sending you a big hug!

Hi Narnia, How quickly things can escalate when you are dealing with parents!!

I don't know about your local authority but in Kent you can't charge funded children fees if they leave your setting to move somewhere else. We get the NEG for their time with us and as soon as they leave the NEG moves with them. So if we had a child for 8 sessions we would get £8.22 x 8.

The period of notice for us ceases as soon as the child becomes funded and we just have to get on with it.

As for your conversation with the parent all you can do is make detailed notes of it so that if OFSTED do knock on your door you can quote the exact conversation. Its very frustrating. Sorry I can't offer more advice.

Hi Nikki, The NEG moving with the child is the rule from the now disputed code of practice, which has not been clarified yet, in fact until April next year. Therefore I would assume that the previous code of practice where funding stays in the setting where it was originally claimed for. There may still be fees outstanding for time in addition to the 2.5 hrs funded.

Peggy

Hi narnia, I agree with myhenroxanne's advise.

Keep the issues seperate and DON'T BE BULLIED BY THIS BULLY.

I have looked out for some info for you, (which you may already have);

I have attached Ofsted publication Early Years see page 5, unfounded complaints or complaints that DO NOT require action are now not included on reports.

also attached guidance notes re changes to standards, see page 14 this gives you a complaints form for parents, plus also attached complaints procedure for settings to follow.

I would send this bully a letter saying something on the lines of

Following our recent phone conversation................................your complaint has been logged and should you wish to take it any further please complete the enclosed Ofsted Complaints form, which we will respond to within 28 days. Include info that myhenroxanne advised.

send a copy of everything to Ofsted with a cover note to confirm your recent telephone conversation with them, stating you have given the parent the option to 'formalise' his complaint to you.

I would even send the fees bill in a seperate letter ( recorded delivery if you wish) again following myhenroxanne advise.

one last attachment ( which I didn't know exists) is a request for information about providers form that people can use to check out settings. You may wish to 'check out' his complaints record at his London nursery's ( if you know the details) get a friend to do it ;, they do have to have his permission to give out info) xD If not for anything else, it might make you feel better and let you know his background too, especially if as has been suggested he may be sussing you out. :o

Good luck

Peggy

OFSTED_GUIDANCE_UPDATE_INCLUDING_COMPLAINTS_FORM.doc

Ofsted_publication.pdf

REQUEST_FOR_DISCLOSURE_OF_INFORMATION.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)