Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Individual Childs Assessment Sheets

Hi

We have yet again had a different early years mentor who has now pulled our assessment sheets to bits can someone please share any forms you use?

Also confirm the steps used for planning recording and assessing we have..

Developmental plan for each child/ bttm and fs

we do observation on the children then these get filed in childs obs book and crossed reference to the developmental plans we have a seperate sheet which shows aspects of learning which we use for all the children and it shows us at a glance which level the children are at so we know what to plan for next.

We dont have an individual sheet for the children showing their individual learning.

Please can someone help me Im at the end of my tether!

thanks x

Hi, can't help just wanted to say the same happened to us this week and we're still none the wiser either. When we asked our EY mentor what she would suggest she just said ' what works best for your setting, but think carefully about what stepping stones are used and how they are worded in the assessments'.

This is the third time we will have changed the assessment sheets and there's no guarantee it will be right! I just wish the mentors would all get together and agree on some templates that we could adapt to our settings.

Karrie

The only advice I can give is the comments from my recent Ofsted inspection

1/ Don't keep changing systems, which I have done, gradually developing them over the years.

We had just made a slight change the week before they arrived so this made staff appear not to be fully sure of how records are meant to be kept.

2/ records need to be kept up to date ( and each enty dated) and enable you to know each childs level in each area of development. for example we were asked Which child in the group was good at calculating . We told them and described the ways we knew the child could calculate ie: How he had compared numbers of objects, shared objects between friends and grouped objects in sets of 2's and 3's. However, this was not recorded in his achievement file, so although we knew it our records ( to share with parents) were not up to date. :o

So, the recommendation being have recording systems that are workable and can be maintained up to date. I personally work with aspects and not so much on stepping stones although they are obviously considered.

I really do think your EYAT should give more practical advise, maybe what has worked for others. However one system may work for one setting and may not for another. Best to devise your own if you can. just be clear on the purpose of record keeping and evaluate whether you are achieving the required information to enable you to plan for the child and relate developmental progress with parents.

Good luck

Peggy

For FS children we do next steps planning - we observe, check off development against the stepping stones and from that work out next steps for the children - but we just keep a profile book to do this. I think that is fairly standard. However it is much more important to keep a closer track of under 3's - they come with a much high staffing ratio - I think it is reasonable to expect someone with only 3 or 4 key children to keep an individual record in more detail. We have a system which we are using especially for our 2 year olds where we have a weekly sheet which records what they have done unsupported, what adult interventions have taken place and with short and long term targets. These change as they are achieved. If you are interested I will try to post them on this thread.

2yosamplesheet.docOK I haven't ever uploaded anything before so I hope I can do this..Please feel free to use this but the one condition is that you acknowledge Cass Child and Family Centre for the whole team helped create this.

yes each keyworker is responsible for keeping them up to date - this is for the Under 3's. Targets change as necessary. Once a child is three then we make a collective decision whether we need to keep them on this close observation or they can move on to our system for the 3-6's which is basically a Stepping Stones based observation profile.

It helps us focus on developmental needs and also child's interests. It's about recording what has happened in more detail rather than spending time discussing future plans. these sheets are the basis for the younger children's planning meeting , we believe it's more productive to think about what's happened to the child in order the think about what experiences to offer next.

As a result of these discussions practioners can then focus on that child's needs wherever they interact with them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)