Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Problems Out Walking!

Hi all,

I am in need of inspiration!! We take the children out for walks from our playgroup. We have to walk through our town center to get any where.

We all walk in a double line, children holding hands, staff holding on to little ones. We have practiced this so often that the children have now got the hang of it!! and we can stay together as we walk.

The problem we are finding is that other shoppers seam to be blind to the fact that we are there, we can be walking along and someone will come out of a shop and walk through us or stop in the middle of us to have a chat with some one!! To help us over come this we have found a local company who will kindly buy us all high vis vests! I was wondering about a rope type thing! for the children to hold as we walk but i'm not sure if the rope would be very nice to hold, i would really like something bright and funky!! but i'm not sure what!!! material tied together would be bright and possiably with little bells attached. What do you think, any one know of any suppliers of such a thing!!

Guest DeborahF

In the latest edition of Practical Pre-School (November 2006, Issue 70), there is a Reader Giveaway on page 13 for a "Walkadile" - it sounds like just what you are looking for - something central for all the children to hold onto and keep them "attached" to each other. It says it costs £199 to buy which is obviously a big sum of money - at our nursery we have something very similar that we made ourselves - it's basically a long strip of heavy duty canvas with loops of fabric attached in pairs, one on each side, which the children hold onto - one child per loop! It works really well and means that people can't walk through the children like you mentioned - the children are very good at using it too. Hope my description is good enough for you to picture what it looks like!

in one of the catalogues there is a walking rope which has a study rope onto which is attached rubber hoops which the children hold onto if you see what i mean. sorry i can not remember where it was i saw it.

Guest DeborahF

The website for the product I saw is www.walkodile.com - there's loads of information and pictures on there - hope this helps!

Guest DeborahF

We used our homemade walkodile today for our autumn walk so I had a good look at it - it's basically a long strip of waterproof canvas, like the sort that is used for sports bag handles, and the loops are made from those coloured sashes that children wear for sports activities- they are sewn onto the canvas in the middle, making one loop either side.

The children are really good with it. There's a business opportunity for someone there somewhere....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)