Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Pe In The Early Years

hi there,

can anyone recommend and good cds/programmes to use for pe within the foundation stage??

i already have one of the sticky kids cds which is great but just wondered if anyone has any other ideas/suggestions of plans/schemes which are good??

:)

I use games and activities from Top Start and a scheme called Teddy P.E.G.S (Physical Education Games and Skills), can't remember where I got them from as have had them years. You could try and Google them. Am at work tomoz so will check whether there's any contact details. :D

Hi Wysiwyg and welcome!

Ive used Tops Start and Tops Play in the past, both of which I believe are from the Val Sabin scheme. Linda has referred you already to that as Action Kids but I havent used that as its quite expensive. Our PE coord had training in the previous 2 and they came with bags of equipment to implement the ideas!

Could I ask also - can anyone recommend a particular 'sticky kids' CD to start with for group of 2 & 3 year olds.

Also, does anyone know the 'bean song' I did a placement at a nursery who sang this song with a large group of children in a circle and they loved it (so did I!)- they walked around singing then stopped, someone calls out a kind of bean, and then the children do the action that describes the type of bean called out, then move around again. I remember some of the actions, i.e. a 'Chilli Bean' = the children wrap their arms around themselves and shiver - a 'runner bean' = they run on the spot, 'kidney bean' = they rub their kidney area, etc. etc. but I can't remember the moving around song that goes in between. A list of possible descriptive 'beans' would be appreciated also.

Baked bean - lying spread out 'baking in the sun'

French bean - shout out 'oh, la, la!'

Jelly bean - wobble like a jelly

Don't know anything about a song though, we just used to use music, then stop it and shout out the name of the bean and show a picture.

Could I ask also - can anyone recommend a particular 'sticky kids' CD to start with for group of 2 & 3 year olds.

Also, does anyone know the 'bean song' I did a placement at a nursery who sang this song with a large group of children in a circle and they loved it (so did I!)- they walked around singing then stopped, someone calls out a kind of bean, and then the children do the action that describes the type of bean called out, then move around again. I remember some of the actions, i.e. a 'Chilli Bean' = the children wrap their arms around themselves and shiver - a 'runner bean' = they run on the spot, 'kidney bean' = they rub their kidney area, etc. etc. but I can't remember the moving around song that goes in between. A list of possible descriptive 'beans' would be appreciated also.

Is this the one you mean? Found it through google.....Wish I knew the tune.

Lynn.

Beans, Beans, Beans

Baked beans,

Butter beans,

Big fat lima beans,

Long thin string beans-

Those are just a few.

Green beans,

Black beans,

Big fat kidney beans,

Red hot chili beans,

Jumping beans too.

Pea beans,

Pinto beans,

Don't forget shelly beans.

Last of all,

Best of all,

I like jelly beans!

Hi Patricia

I would probably start with the Warm Up with the Sticky Kids CD. We have all but the new one, Wiggle and Jiggle, and our children really enjoy them.

Linda

Hey, Lynn!! Talk about timing...the panto my son just finished working used part of that song for the 'songsheet, children up on the stage spot' - it's a really catchy but fairly fast tune, great fun but as I don't read music so can't write it down for you that's not a lot of help! :o

sorry, had to put in my two penn'orth!

Sue

AC Black do a book 'Lets go Zudieo' which covers the movement, dance and music aspect of PE, it has a cd with music on it and it's a dvd too with clips for the children to watch, things like other children doing the activities, the moon landing, indian dancing, a chinese new year dragon dance. Very good, we were recommended it from County and it has been well used over the past 3 years I have had it.

Liz x

• 2 weeks later...
If you have Action Kids can you tell me why you would recommend it and what age group?

Gwen,

I have Action Kids 600 which is especially for the foundation stage. It has 90 activity cards which you can photocopy and they are grouped into sections such as dance, gym, parachute etc. Each card has a warm up activity, further activities with suggestions for differentiation/progression and a cool down activity. It comes with 2 CDs of music to use with the activities. The learning goals are also listed on each card. There is also a separate CD with warm up and cool down song and suggestions for how you can plan your own sessions. It is so easy to use and has some great activities. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)