Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Aromatherapy

As a childminder working from home I often use a simple t-light oil burner on my kitchen window sill but have been thinking of getting an electric diffuser for use in our playroom.

Does anyone use one in their setting and can you recomend any oils or blends that are particularly good for creating peaceful and creative moods/ambience?

There are some aromatherapy family learning workshops run near me - I'll try and find out what they recommend and get back to you!

Some of them are very strong I know, and I really don't want my place to smell like an opium den :o but I won't be actually slapping them on the children massage style, just aiming to create subtle moods that they may subconsciously associate with different avtivities/times of the day.

There are so many to choose from and they can be quite expensive so personal recommendations are invaluable.

That would be great, thank you Wolfie :)

We use aromatherapy in our FSU and find the children respond to different oils. Certain oils shouldn't be used if you are pregnant have epilepsy or have high blood pressure. Although some midwives are offering aromatherapy in labour and peppermint is good for sickness. Geranium and rose geranium oil are calming

At Christmas we used some blends from the Body Shop I think it was spiced apple which the children said they really liked.

We also use scented candles and joss sticks to create moods.

there is quite a difference between oils used to burn and those used massage. Most oils are relatively safe for burning, even lavender in pregnancy, although in can trigger a seizure in epileptic people.

I use lavender, chamomile, mandarin and peppermint in playdough (not all at the same time!) and so would be happy to use those in a burner. (just one or two drops per batch) I have also used in burners, neroli and sandalwood.

However, I would also recommend you checked before going ahead yourself. I was always told to cross reference any herb/oil 5 times before believing what I read was reasonable. There is plenty of info online, so check out those ones Ive mentioned and if you're happy with what you read, and your parents are happy too, then go for it.

Many thanks for those tips for which oils may be most suitable.

I am looking forward to experimenting.

My main form of aromatherapy at the moment is putting the coffee pot on and popping some toast into the toaster before the children arrive. It does a great job of disguising the delightful morning 'dog and teenager' smell :D

I've heard another good one is to plop some drops of vanilla essence on to a baking tray and warm your oven up, the aroma is supposed to help sell houses too!!! It makes people think about home baking apparently!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)