Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Available Drinks- Any Ideas?

Does anyone have any good ideas for making water available all day for young children. I work in a Children's Centre - so we haqve toddlers with our 3 - 4 year olds. Its a real challenge!! :)

In our nursery they have empty fruit shoot bottles in 4 colours - red, orange, purple and green. The bottles are placed on top of the same coloured spot. So, there will be about 8 red bottles placed on a large red spot, 8 green on a large green spot etc. Each child knows their colour and each bottle has a photo of the child on so they recognise it. At the end of the each the day the bottles are emptied and the lids placed in milton and water overnight. The bottles are then refilled in the morning.

In Reception I do a similiar thing, except they have large water bottles with their names on and they are placed on their group square.

Hope that helps.

In my nursery, we ask the parents to provide pre-school children with sports bottles, obviously with lids, for the children to have free acess to each day.

In the baby unit, we ask parents to provide children with lidded beakers. The babies cups and lids are sterilised in the morning before we open and again when all the babies are asleep, filled with cooled boiled water. In the toddler room, we only sterilise the lids, in with the babies lids and cups and fill once in the morning and again, when the toddlers are all asleep or if they have had milk at snack time.

Toddler beakers have a special table they go on and the children know they can help themselves. The babies are offered their cups throughout the day by the staff.

I'm now just trying to train my toddlers to put their beakers back on the special table when they have finished, rather than them throwing them on the floor for me to fall over!

Our children all have their own cups / bottles. Attatched to their cup / bottle is a laminated picture of the child and their name. this is good for the child's own recognition but also for staff who don't know who's cup/bottle is who's.

I also have a chart on the wall that has a picture of each child's cup / bottle with the child's name next to it, this helps staff to know which cup / bottle they need for each child.(as pictures are removed from cups whilst they are washed)

cups/bottles are filled each morning with fresh watter, and at lunch time they are washed and refilled. once a week the cup lids are put in milton (daily for babies)

Dawn

I was really interested in the water coolers because a friend is having a 2 week trial with one. The bottles are £5 each and the cooler is £47 a year. Sounded really good but apparantly the cooling machine has to be permanently plugged into the electricity (24hours a day) As I share premises with others I can't do this and I haven't got an electric socket in any of my storage cupboards. We put a lidded jug of water out and the children ask for a drink. We found that the young ones played with the water when it was at a level for the children to reach.

Sue J

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)