Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Decorating

I am going to decorate one of our rooms at pre-school over the half term break. I have decided to paint one wall white and then let the children decorate it the first week back. I am going to use poster paint for the children but feel it will probably need sealing to ensure it doesn't come off.

Has anybody got any ideas what I should use? Do you think varnish or watered down PVA?

Thanks

Linda

I would have though you would need a water-based varnish.

You can get water-based acryllic paints - we have used these with the children for special or longer lasting art projects.

H/S: make sure you use water-based varnish if you are going to do this,as ordinary varnish might pose a fire risk. BUT, couldn't you use normal emulsion paints for the children to work with, the tester pots work really well, and you can add glitter to this.It worked well when my daughter did a solar-system/stars theme for her nephew and neices bedrooms)..............acrylics dry very quickly, so be aware of this when the children use them (and virtually impossible to remove from clothes etc!)plus, emulsion is easier to paint over when it's time for another re-vamp! Or, how about getting the children to do some wonderful artwork on paper/card etc, then frame it up.....you can buy incredibly cheap frames from Ikea, and the bonus is that you can move the artwork around, take it down temporarily if you need the walls for something else;the children can take it home with them when you've had enough of it etc.

The trouble with paintings on paper etc is that the condition of the wall is very poor and wouldn't hold frames. But using the tester pots is a good idea. I also have a massive tub of white paint which I could add paint to, and glitter, so will have a think about all your ideas.

Thank you so much.

Linda

Some of the stores have an offer of buy one get one free on tester pots at the moment, I think 'Do It All' does. Some also come with brushes or sponges included :D

Another idea I've use is having a nice bright coloured piece of thick ribbon attached at opposite walls and then used decorated clothes pegs to attach childrens artwork. This looks really good done the right way. The children can help decorate the pegs by painting them and attaching fun shapes to them etc.

:)

• 1 month later...

Well, we did our wall art and I am attaching some photos. The photos are not brilliant because the colours are pastel shades but I am really pleased with the end result and the children loved doing it. The paintings at the top were done by the staff and the rest are the children's.

We also did some paintings to cover three internal windows. The children were given paint brushes and encouraged to throw the paint onto the paper. It went everywhere but the results were fantastic!

Linda

post-99-1175803310_thumb.jpg

post-99-1175803462_thumb.jpg

post-99-1175803476_thumb.jpg

post-99-1175803497_thumb.jpg

post-99-1175803515_thumb.jpg

post-99-1175803534_thumb.jpg

post-99-1175803549_thumb.jpg

post-99-1175803565_thumb.jpg

Guest HelenW

The photo's are great, I think its a great idea to the let the children put their mark on the wall. I work from home as a childminder, buy may well do this in one of our playrooms.

Great pics Linda, love the pastel colours and the window splatters. The children must have really gained a sense of ownership of their play room now.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)