Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Light Boxes

I attended a lovely course this morning at the Early Excellence in Huddersfield which was led by Pat Brunton and Linda Thornton on children as scientists and technologists. They talked a lot about the value of light boxes and have been looking through the catalogue which they gave us but they are quite expensive. Am wondering whether to get one when our budget somes through and wanted to know how often you use yours if you have one and whether or not they are worth the money. Also, which budget would you expect this to come out of? Our team is having a bit of a battle with the head at the moment over general resources coming out of FS budget :D

Can you use the smaller light boxes designed for handicrafts under supervision? Just wondered, as these seem a bit cheaper

• 2 weeks later...

we have a large light box and it is rarely used, it is accessable to the children but i think we just dont have enough ideas as to what to do with it.

Kerry

• 1 month later...

this may seem like a daft comment if lots of you already do it but having read previous threads about light boxes I know lots of people find children lose interest in them.

Ours is fairly new and having introduced to children i.e showing how to switch on etc it was left in a permanent position for children to freely access and switch on when they wanted to use it - no one did!

For last few days I have been switching it on before children arrive and leaving it on - there has now been much more interest - children settle here like any other the other provision areas and explore teh equipment.

Is situated next to our 'science table' so children can access natural materials, discovery bottles (these are popular on the light box), cellophane etc.

Also really like this idea from an earlier thread - black paper and hole punches - children create 'holey' designs and view on top of light box - they could then stick sweet wrappers on back to view colours through holes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)