Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Interview Panel For New Head?

I have recently been appointed as our school's only teacher governor. Our headmistress announced last week that she is leaving in Dec. Our chair of governors has informed all governors that they are entitled to be on the interview panel for the new head if they so wish. I have been thinking whether or not to do it but I can't decide. Was hoping for some advice.

I do think that it will be a really good experience for me as I am only in my second year of teaching and I do think it's important that the staff have a say in who is going to be leading them however I am a bit worried that others may think I shouldn't be on the panel as a recently qualified teacher and a relatively new governor.

What would you do?

Why not talk to your chair of Governors about it or your head?

I have never heard of teacher reps being on panels to interview for a senior position but if you feel that you can represent your colleagues then go for it. If others make a different choice though how will that feel and how will you feel if your colleagues do not like the choice that you helped to make?

I have been involved in interviewing for a head, but only as a governor, not a teacher governor. Surely your position on the governing body is to represent the staff so, I would think you are more than suitable to be on the interview panel! (My opinion, nothing else). You will very much be part of the process, help formulate questions for the interview and probably ask some of the pre-determined questions too. Your experience as a teacher is invaluable and you will get an insight that some of the other panel will not pick up on. There will presumably be LEA representation on the panel too so things can't go pear shaped. I think you are in a privileged position and would do a great job on the panel. Plus, you get to influence the choice. What would it be like if there was no teacher representation on the panel and they chose someone the staff couldn't get on with, or was totally unsuitable, or who had their own agenda......... (doesn't bear thinking about!)

Go for it!!!

Edited by Guest

Guest Wolfie

Yes, I would definitely go for it, you are the teacher governor and are going to be working with this person more closely than any other governor - and it will be good experience for you too!

I'd say go for it too (though I'd probably find it really daunting ). We recently had interviews for a deputy head, and our teacher governor and non-teacher govenor were both involved. As LJW says, at least some of the questions will be pre-determined, so you're going to have to invent your own. It will certainly be good experience for you and I'm sure you'll be able to represent the other teachers. Good luck.

HI

I am Chair of Govs. at my daughter's schol and a teacher at another school. we interviewed for a new Head in Jan. and believe you me, you need someone who knows the school, children, etos and education. Remember that you will have to work with this person and they will have to work with you and the other staff. Who else will know about personalities and be able to allay fears.? Sit on that panel and have your say!! :D

Guest tinkerbell

We as teachers in my school have never been on the interview panel for any of the headship jobs that have appointed in my school.How about seeing if you could be involved in the selection committee, then leave it to the experts for the interview?

You have to think about,

How would you feel if you were opposed to the candidate that the rest of the panel chose?You would have to work with that person.

Our recent headship was a two day ordeal for the short listed candidates

they spent a day walking round , meeting staff, school council, lunch etc etc spent ages with me as ass head grilling me on everything from Pandas ,league tables,support staff etc

The staff got a good measure of who we liked and this was discretely passed on to the governors.

Tinkerbellx

I am staff gov at my school and myself and other staff gov are always on interviewing panels including for heads

It is really important that staff are fully represented

The questions and criteria should all be set up for you but you will be able to contribute to the discussion or feed staff views into it

Go for it - its not just your decision but its good to be involved

Good luck

Jo

Thanks for all your replies. As some people have mentioned it does seem a little strange that a relatively in-experienced teacher should be on the interview panel for the head however my present head and chair of governors have both said that any governor has a right to be on the panel. As a result of your replies I am going to go on the panel although I will prob be slightly scared beforehand however prior to the interview process all the panel are going to receive support and training where necessary from both the LA and the dioceses (we are an aided school).

Although it would be tough being opposed to an individual who the rest of the panel chose surely this is all part of being a teacher/governor - not all decisions can go the way you would prefer however at least I would get a chance to have a say and represent my colleagues.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Don't worry - the questions will be pre decided although you can usually ask supplementary questions if you wish, the chair of the interviewing panel may ask after each Q if anyone has any further questions around that issue, but as each candidate has to have the same experience the basic questions will be the same for all of them. Most times there is a scoring system anyway so you grade each answer yourself (sometimes you have a list of key points for the question that you are listening out for that help this) and then you all discuss your grades and reach your decision based on that basis. You have to have a totally transparent system because of potential challenges if a candidate feels discriminated against (V rare though). The process for headship will have a very big LA input with personnel

As a governor you are a governor "in your own right" and have equal status with any other governor - therefore you are as equally entitled to sit on a panel for interviews as any other governor. So enjoy the experience!

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)