Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Key Stage 1 Resources

Hello, and thank you for such a wonderful forum. I am currently teaching Reception at a small school in Thailand, next year we will be extending our age limit to include Key Stage 1. Over the April break I will be ordering many new resources from England.

Which resources would you say are essential, or very helpful for teaching the Key Stage 1?

We do have Jolly Phonics and a small collection of guided readers.

Many Thanks,

Rob

Edited by Guest

If you are doing topics then the QCA stuff may prove useful to you as long as it's not 'set in stone' for Years 1/2 upwards. For Year 1 Autumn term I would continue with FS guidance possibly longer in the ideal world! A new copy of the EYFS document would be useful to you it is on the standards website (www.teachernet.gov.uk) to view and it comes into being next September

Welcome from me too :D

As Kermit says, QCA is useful. Have you checked out the new primary frameworks? That will give you an indication of the expectations for English and maths and then you will need to see what resources you have already. We use stuff like the BBC Magic Grandad series to help with history. We also have a range of CDROMs such as Trudy's Time and Place House, Sounds Great! and Science Fair. (Sherston software, mostly). We also have talking books on CDROM - both CUP and ORT.

Thank you everyone for such a warm welcome. Our school doesn't have internet connection - so that is first on my priority I guess. I have set up a ICT suite from last year, but was restricted to what I could do.

I have had a long look at the P scales, which are very helpful and I'll look further at the QCA website during this April break (we have Songkran instead of Easter, a 4 day water festival!).

For Mathematical resources, I guess I would need sand-timers, scales, measuring jugs etc...? I have been teaching Mathematics to my Reception class and have been struggling a little bit to get the resources needed for some lessons. So I would like to ensure I have collected all resources needed before the start of the year.

Once again, Thank you for your help.

:)

Don't forget that the P scales are for children with SEN. I think that you will find the QCA documents usefu,l as long as you don't treat them as is, but adapt to your needs.

I think you are correct about having internet access as there is so much help and advice, and so many resources you can look at on line. As others have mentioned, QCA, Teachernet and the Standards Site will all be really useful- and of course there will be lots of support on here as well. There is always someone on here who can help out with ideas about activities and resources.

For Mathematical resources, I guess I would need sand-timers, scales, measuring jugs etc...? I have been teaching Mathematics to my Reception class and have been struggling a little bit to get the resources needed for some lessons. So I would like to ensure I have collected all resources needed before the start of the year.

Yes, all of the above! Also rulers, trundle wheels, money resources, clocks etc. Place value cards are useful too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)