Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

A Question For All Of You In Pre-school

HI

a member of staff at my nursery has asked me to ask you if pre-schools are allowed to refuse entry to children who will not use the toilet to poo.

This child is toilet trained in terms of needing a wee, and will ask for a nappy on for a poo... she had her visits to pre-school and all seemed okay, but on her first day (yesterday) the pre-school teacher told her mum that they would not accept her until she poo's consistently on the toilet.

Can they do this?, incidently this little girl was three early april this year... if that makes any difference.

can anyone tell me if pre-schools can exclude on this basis

Dawn

It would depend on what their policy document said, which the parent should have been given. However if the child was only 3 in April she is not eligable for Early Eductation Funding until September. Therefore, the pre-school may have some policies specifically for entry if the "under 3s".

They are not allowed to exclude children for this reason, for the simple fact that some children do take longer to attain the language and developmental maturity required and children who have special needs can be in nappies for a long time, plus you have medical conditions etc...

I think there is a clause that the parent can be contacted to come and change the child, but our local schools just do it themselves. :)

you cannot refuse a child in nappies or who soils, or discriminate against them by calling in a parent to change them....

"This comes under The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA)

Any admission policy that sets a blanket standard of continence, or any other aspect of development, for all children is discriminatory and therefore unlawful under the Act. All such issues have to be dealt with on an individual basis, and settings/schools are expected to make reasonable adjustments to meet the needs of each child.

Asking parents of a child to come and change a child is likely to be a direct contravention of the DDA, and leaving a child in a soiled nappy for any length of time pending the return of the parent is a form of abuse. "

This was taken from a sure start document Leicester City LEA guidance for all foundation stage providers

Previous topic here including links to other topic and document quoted above.

Inge

and also more here

just a word of caution too...

a parent complained to Ofsted that we did not change nappies or refused entry because of the child not being toilet trained.... big investigation by Ofsted.... :o

unfounded in our case and they could see all policies were in place and followed through, they checked our facilities but we had a note put on file about this even though it was unfounded. xD

hence my knowledge on this subject.. :(

receipt of education grants do not come into this one it is a care issue, and a policy excluding on this basis is seen as discriminatory.

Inge

Edited by Inge

Guest MaryEMac

As the others have said we are not allowed to refuse entry to a child because of a toiletting problem. We are getting more and more children in wearing nappies or pull-ups but it doesn't seem to take too long for them to progress to wearing pants. I think that being with other children who are using the toilet helps.It's not actually very often that we have to change a nappy so it is not a big issue in our playgroup.

Mary

we do take children in nappies now but we didnt at one time and always got round this by saying we havent anywhere to change them,well we still havent its on the floor on a changing mat in the toilets by the basins basically but they may be saying this is the reason wether they still can use that as an excuse I dont know sorry

Guest Wolfie

And I have to add that there are a fair few parents who will SAY that their child is toilet trained when they start nursery and actually they are no further forward in their training than other children whose parents say that they are NOT toilet trained! :o

I am interested in this and basically agree with what is being said, but sometimes you are caught between a rock and a hard place.

I had aboy in a reception class who had several problem, one of which that he filled his pants several times a day.

I was often on my own and we could not get any money, to have support for him. What was I supposed to do with the rest of the class while I dealt with him? I was extremely angry being in that position and felt it was unfair for everyone all round.

My head asked mum to come and change him in the end. He did not improve for a year. I have moved since so do not know what has happened since.

I agree with everyone else on this issue..........you cannot refuse to take this child in because of nappies.I have a little boy in exactly the same situation and although i realy can't get my head round why he needs to poo in a nappy, but will happily go to wee in the loo,it's his choice and that's it! (..though I'm working on it..............stickers/stickers/stickers......praise +++++++++++ :) )

We are school nursery and now take children at all stages of toilet training.

we have recently had child who was toilet trained but still asked for nappy when she needed to soil - mum was keen for advice on how to move her on from this stage and this was the suggestion I found by doing a web search...

begin by putting the child in their nappy but then sitting them on the potty/toilet (most children I have know who choose nappy, stand to soil). next step = line potty with nappy then sit child into it, after that should be able to move child onto to simply sitting on potty.

I had no involement in carrying out this process but mum used it at home and is now very pleased that little girl is happily using the loo.

Took approximately half a term.

hope this might help others. x

No they cannot refuse however last term we had a child that every single session with out fail was doing a poo in his nappy and we believed that he was coming in like it as it was dried on if you know what I mean. We asked mum several times to make sure she checked him before the session started so changing him wasn't the first thing we were doing and she wasn't. In the end I mentioned her checking him again and she took him out.

We never excluded him and we never treated him any differently we just asked her to check his nappy before she left the building, she said she was but she wasn't where would that leave us?

In our preschool we take children who are still in nappies. I really do not think you can refuse a child who still wears a nappy as it goes against most of the policies we all have to adhere to, e.g. Inclusion, SENCO, equal opps, DDA. I would contact your local early years support team or ofsted to get futher info if i was you, just to make sure.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)