Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Eyfs Planning (again)

Hi all, I have emailed Ofsed and asked them when we can start using the EYFS their reply was I can start now if I want to.

As I will be managing a mixed aged setting I would like to start in September so we don't have to have two sets of planning.

Is anyone else doing the same if so would you like to link up to share views?

Guest Wolfie

That's a very interesting reply from Ofsted - I understood that they expected settings to continue to use the old frameworks until August 2008! Not that I'm complaining you understand - I think it'll be much easier to plan, observe and assess with just one framework and terms of reference as our basis. Count me in with sharing ideas! :o

Edited by Wolfie

Hi this is the reply I got from ofsted in case you would like a copy to keep for your records

Dear Ms Brown,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please be advised that the EYFS is available for you to use from this day if you so wish, officially it is form September 2008.

I hope this information helps. Should you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards

Julie Glennon

Customer Service Advisor

Ofsted - National Business Unit

TEL: 08456 404040

OOOH. That sounds interesting. I bet my place wont contemplate it though, proper sticklers to the letter when it suits.

It would be a good idea I think to have the planning running side by side for a while even if you dont use the EYFS exclusively. It will save time in Sept 08 and you'll be ready for the training that eventually gets put out. It might show those who dont do well with change how easy it will be, I work with some people who wont change, dont see why they should change or update, and will devise a way of working with the EYFS on their terms.

A trial period would be a good idea for some :o

One thing I would say is for goodness sake don't change anything for those children still within BTTM, as that is still the legal framework for that age group until the end of August 2008. I think most good settings will have to change very little actual FS planning, anyway.

Sue

"One thing I would say is for goodness sake don't change anything for those children still within BTTM"

I may be being thick but what is BTTM?

We are a 4 form entry Infant School and we're going over to the new EYFS in Sept 07 so count me in with new planning too.

Edited by Guest

Count me in also.

We're a very small, family run day nursery who is attempting to move from topic led to child led planning (doing a combination of both at the moment) and I'm finding it very difficult to find a 'system' of paperwork to support this from - observation recording, to including in child's 'learning journey' to highlight their progression, to planning for next steps - which is also staff friendly. Our current forms/system just doesn't 'flow'/work right.

So I feel that i may as well work on some forms with EYFS in mind at the same time. Incidentially - any good examples of methods used to record 3-4 year olds 'learning journeys' would be much appreciated. I'm looking at the forms posted last week courtesty of Harrow Early Years (can't think what the topic was or who posted it, but I'l let you know if you're interested)

Thanks for the tip re: Birth to 3 Matters.

Sam

Kermit21 posted some good links in 'Nursery Baseline' last week which are presumably taken from the EYFS - I liked the idea of each child having a list of stepping stones which are highlighted when 'working towards' in yellow and then in pink 'when met' (mind you - they only use the yellow and blue stepping stones and some of our 3 year olds are frequently able to achieve the 'green' stepping stones). Although I don't want to use a 'tick list' as such - how else can you see at a glance their progression and areas needing encouragement - surely if observations/photos are kept within the child's file and the highlighted areas are cross referenced to the observations/photos - this would be a workable system?

Sam

Sam, thats how I used to do things. I had all the stepping stones on a sheet and used a highlighter when I was sure they had a achieved, but there was also other evidence to back it up.

Instead of seeing it as a tick sheet, look at it as a point of reference for staff. :o

Guest Wolfie

Dasher, that's exactly the system that I've just introduced at a nursery I support and all the staff are happy with it.

Edited by Wolfie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)