Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Frozen Teddy

I am being observed on Tues for 30 mins by my head and he wants to see a KUW activity. Am doing the Frozen TEddy activity - I going to freeze my beat baby and send a little letter with it explaining what it is as I have not done beat baby this year with my class yet. Anyway am going to put an Artic postmark on the parcel and we'll have a brief discussion about what might be inside, look for Artic on globe etc. Just wondered if anyone had any great idea as what to do for my small group activities to follow up. Thought about children thinking of materials to warm the teddy up and maybe gathering these and giving each child a compare bear frozen in a ice cube and timing how long they take to thaw but not too sure whether it is play based enough? Any ideas would be really greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

P.S. I teach in a Recpetion class.

as I don't know this activity I'm thinking it may not be the best activity to do whilst being observed...

mainly because I can't see how it will owrk without a freezer in your room for it to be freezing when you use it... I may be being thick here but seems a really risky activity to do whislt being observed.

Why have you chosen Frozen Teddy?

I did this activity for a previous OFSTED and they loved it. They said the children used good problem solving skills and demonstrated a good understanding of the concepts. I'm not sure I would do it as a summer activity (our OFSTED was in January and the frozen teddy was found outside in the cold) Could you do a similar activity looking at how to keep him cool as he comes from the Artic and is finding our weather too hot?

Tuffspot the Teddy doesn't have to be 'frozen' just to have a coating of frost on his fur to show he is very cold. If you look at the previous post you will see how it works http://www.foundation-stage.info/forums/in...post&p=4289

Edited by Marion

You could then extend the activity to look at the clothes he has brought with him.... which ones are good for our weather and why?

Building him shelters... shade to keep him cool.

You could include a link to sun safety.

Good Luck

L

Guest tinkerbell

Building on Lorna's idea a group could be making sunglassess using different coloured cellophanes.

Group could be packing suitcase hot/cold clothes...sparklebox has a dress the teddy in hot or cold gear I think.

Good luck

Tinkerbellx

Just wanted to say thanks to all those of you who offered me advice for my observation. I was on Tues and had the feedback tonight. I decided to introduced the teddy through a letter and a mini hunt. We then looked at the teddy as a group - talked about where he had come from and then thought of ways to keep him cool. In groups we made ice lollies, make a mini pentagon den for him outside and another group dressed the teddy on the site Marion suggested. Got 'excellent' for everything :o - thanks very mich everyone!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)