Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Ofsted requires improvement for pre school

AnonyMouse_7227

My son has come home with his pre schools latest ofsted, which was sadly requiring rather a lot of improvements. I'm not surprised really as some of the issues that have been highlighted I have noticed during pick up and drop off. The staff are lovely and do seem to care well for the children but so much is being missed out and I feel so sad for them because I don't think they can improve due to current staffing.

I'm keeping him there because he is happy and settled but I wish I could do something...

Hi

Well the really positive thing about a 'requires improvement' is that they will now get a lot of help from their LA (well at least I hope they will) lets hope that other parents are as 'level headed' as you about their result......

Not so sure that happens anymore sunnyday :( in the olden days it did in my area, but it now seems if you're lucky you might get 1 extra visit per year - not enough support around at all really and it's sad.

Crumbs if this is the case what does happen to these setting then.:)

It just seems as if they have to pick themselves up.

A setting close to us have got requires improvement twice in a row and in total they have had 3 visits from their Advisors in the last 2 years ... they are visiting other settings to try and get help from them asking what they do to address the points they get pulled up on ... try and get on training courses; think they do still get a course for settings that get inadequate or RI for free ... or they could pay I suppose to get more help

Knowing that they have a supportive parent will mean the world to them im sure :1b

Could you join the committee?

Advise them to join this wonderful forum

What a good idea Thumperrabbit! A committee member with knowledge - no offence to anyone intended. In fact you may have the answer to all us PVI groups. We could all become a committee member of a local group. Sorted!!!! ;):D:D

Hi

Well the really positive thing about a 'requires improvement' is that they will now get a lot of help from their LA (well at least I hope they will) lets hope that other parents are as 'level headed' as you about their result......

I do hope so.

As a parent and fellow practitioner they may welcome your support at this time.

I also agree that settings usually get lots of support from their LA to action any findings and aid improvement.

Let's hope this is the case and after the initial disappointment see this as a positive way forward for everybody.:)

I was wondering how I could support them, in the reccomendations I can easily see how they can be rectified and improved. I don't want to appear pushy though.

Knowing that they have a supportive parent will mean the world to them im sure :1b

Could you join the committee?

Advise them to join this wonderful forum

I will certainly mention it.

It just seems as if they have to pick themselves up.

A setting close to us have got requires improvement twice in a row and in total they have had 3 visits from their Advisors in the last 2 years ... they are visiting other settings to try and get help from them asking what they do to address the points they get pulled up on ... try and get on training courses; think they do still get a course for settings that get inadequate or RI for free ... or they could pay I suppose to get more help

It used to be the case that the training for early years was free regardless but that could have changed now I have been out of it for a while.

It's a lovely group with potential that is yet to be realised, it also has excellent links with the nearby school and attached nursery unit.

What a good idea Thumperrabbit! A committee member with knowledge - no offence to anyone intended. In fact you may have the answer to all us PVI groups. We could all become a committee member of a local group. Sorted!!!! ;):D:D

Haha yes!

I was wondering how I could support them, in the recommendations I can easily see how they can be rectified and improved. I don't want to appear pushy though.

I missed in the word 'post' - 'that they post'.

But you may feel that you only can suggest this to them it if they express that they don't get enough support from the LA.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would update on this situation.

I was asked to do a walk through one session and I made a few observations, a few days later the manager was signed off (not related as far as I am aware) and the stand in deputy has had to step up to stand in manager and there has been a reshuffle of staff to ensure legalities. I fed back my findings and made some suggestions which seemed to be fairly well received at the time.

One of my concerns was regarding practice, in my eyes it just wasn't up to the standard that is expected ESP as per the revised framework. I mentioned that it's natural for all of us to have times where we feel lost and need to pep up our practice and get our buzz back and the manager agreed that some of the practice was inadequate. I even offered my own time to cover staff should they wish to visit other settings to observe good practice or attend training or development sessions.

Then the next week I asked how things were going and they said the LEA were in contact however having spoken to a former colleague at a setting I worked in, they arent particularly supportive :( also I got the impression from the exchange that I should butt out of it so I have. I know when I'm not wanted.

I'm wondering if there is anyone on here I can pm about it further? I'm obviously concerned as a parent but also as a professional.m

Hi, I've only just read this, we've recently had Requires improvement. Our LA dont offer much in the way of support but our actions were so ridiculous I suspect they're wondering how to start the support and advice!

Your input might not be wanted as a professional but as a parent I would think you're entitled to know what changes are in the pipeline, how they're to be implemented, what the time line is and how it will reflect on the practice. Maybe you could get other parents asking questions and offering advice too.

'A sign of strength is knowing when to ask for help'

At least your little boy is happy, thats the main thing :1b :1b

Hi, I've only just read this, we've recently had Requires improvement. Our LA dont offer much in the way of support but our actions were so ridiculous I suspect they're wondering how to start the support and advice!

Your input might not be wanted as a professional but as a parent I would think you're entitled to know what changes are in the pipeline, how they're to be implemented, what the time line is and how it will reflect on the practice. Maybe you could get other parents asking questions and offering advice too.

'A sign of strength is knowing when to ask for help'

At least your little boy is happy, thats the main thing :1b :1b

Thanks for your reply Rea.

At first my input was welcomed but now it's not so that's fine, I don't think the majority of parents are really bothered, from what I gather the majority aren't interested, and you can't do this stuff on your own!

I have noticed the layout this morning has changed so maybe they have taken something on board....

Yes he's happy and its meeting his needs at the moment.

Thanks for your reply Rea.

At first my input was welcomed but now it's not so that's fine, I don't think the majority of parents are really bothered, from what I gather the majority aren't interested, and you can't do this stuff on your own!

I have noticed the layout this morning has changed so maybe they have taken something on board....

Yes he's happy and its meeting his needs at the moment.

Maybe the staff are feeling a little overwhelmed - it's good that you are so supportive but maybe they can't see the woods for the trees yet. Perhaps a few words of 'oh i really like the different layout today' or whatever it is that's changed, will perk them up a bit - don't know about others but we rarely get much feedback from parents (unless we are asking through questionnaires) until they are leaving or have left, but when someone does take the time to say something good it feels great.

• Like 2

Maybe the staff are feeling a little overwhelmed - it's good that you are so supportive but maybe they can't see the woods for the trees yet. Perhaps a few words of 'oh i really like the different layout today' or whatever it is that's changed, will perk them up a bit - don't know about others but we rarely get much feedback from parents (unless we are asking through questionnaires) until they are leaving or have left, but when someone does take the time to say something good it feels great.

Good point, Thumperrabbit. I will definitely comment tomorrow. You're right a bit of positive feedback helps us all regardless of hat field were in.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First time I've gone down a grade to RI, fortunately simple to rectify, although I disagree and have been liaising almost daily with Tribal and Ofsted, but they published without showing me! I was told it was sent to a different address and I did not get an email copy either. So my appeal time passed, Ofsted good enough to say I can though. I feel so bruised.

First time I've gone down a grade to RI, fortunately simple to rectify, although I disagree and have been liaising almost daily with Tribal and Ofsted, but they published without showing me! I was told it was sent to a different address and I did not get an email copy either. So my appeal time passed, Ofsted good enough to say I can though. I feel so bruised.

Hi janrob1 and welcome to the forum. Bad luck on the judgement from Ofsted and from the sound of it - it was 'bad luck' that you had an Inspector that did'nt even get the contact process right!! Hope you pick yourself and your team up - now your on here perhaps you can pick up a few ideas that will get you inspired again! GOOD luck with your appeal : )

I've been in a similar situation, although our playgroup never got to requires improvement stage, but after the 'good' 3 years ago, staff got complacent, the committee had a big change and the ball juggling meant that things got missed and dropped. As a member of the committee purely as a parent I made frequent suggestions that were shot down (tried that before, didn't work,.... kind of responses) Then, the committee realised that my youngest was leaving and as the only person with childcare experience and a challenger to practice, they asked me to work as a consultant to get them Ofsted ready over a 12 month period! So, now I'm on the inside, still being a royal pain in the bum, but getting things changed :-)

Is there a member of staff who you have a relationship with - your son's key person so you could talk to them? Could you make suggestions by stealth - focus on a positive but then say 'have you tried x?' or 'my child really loves open ended play where he can choose what happens...?'

Happy to PM if you want. RB x

That's really tough - I feel for you.........hope that your appeal is sucessful

Our county use all their resources to ensure improvement in settings requiring improvement. this is good but unfortunately means us outstanding or good settings get very little or no support and no access to training as the other setting get first refusal. your setting should get lots of help.

buttercup

Thank you, for the kind words. We are a good team we will bounce back, I would say that our problem was a staff member had 2 children with her and the inspector, and at that time a child emptied some crayons and the other child picked up another child's cup, so we were told the staff could not attend to both their needs at once and it left staff open to allegations being on her own. The manager and I were outside the room thinking it would be overkill for one of us to be in the room as well, plus the second staff was due back from the bathroom with a child. Having just started tapestry I couldn't pull everything I wanted up quickly enough (nervous!) although staff did so brilliantly(much more computer savvy and quicker than me on the day!) So this was raised as registered person not having info to hand & ready. My previous audits of monitoring gaps in learning etc were not going to convince this inspector. How ever overall the staff probably had the best inspection feedback on their practice ?!

Hope this helps anyone else.

• 2 months later...

Just to update, we had an apology from Ofsted. Investigating inspector was professional. Some changes made to report.

Still have an outstanding issue so it's in the next stage process . Here's hoping common sense and transparency wins the day!

Other managers I've met with concerned about inconsistency, especially as a nearby setting also got RI a few weeks ago and were shocked by this. If funding is stopped to RI settings does this help move 2 year olds to school sites?? -