Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Inspected yesterday- happy to answer any questions

AnonyMouse_12960

Well done eyfs1966 - Brilliant for you and your team!

I am so pleased for the team. We are closing next year due to lack of premises, so it is nice that Ofsted were able to recognise the efforts that the staff are putting in to ensure we maintain the highest standards for the children's sake right up to the end.

I am so pleased for the team. We are closing next year due to lack of premises, so it is nice that Ofsted were able to recognise the efforts that the staff are putting in to ensure we maintain the highest standards for the children's sake right up to the end.

Well, sorry to hear that - its a travesty that an Outstanding setting has no home. Hope you all find something good to go to in the New Year.....if its still in childcare then they get the best! Good luck : )

PS hope you still tune in here - we need Outstanding Advice!

• Like 1

Well, sorry to hear that - its a travesty that an Outstanding setting has no home. Hope you all find something good to go to in the New Year.....if its still in childcare then they get the best! Good luck : )

PS hope you still tune in here - we need Outstanding Advice!

Ahhh, I'm blushing! I suspect I may still be a forum lurker whether in childcare or not!!! I think I have a deep addiction....

• Like 5

Well eyfs1966 that was abit of a bomb shell, didn't expect to hear that news after getting Outstanding.

Can I ask what the situ is with the present premises? We were in similar state in that the church we were in was being sold and we had the six weeks holidays to find somewhere else. Luckily we did and had the extra benifit of having an outside play area. Trouble is it is a bit out of the way and parents really need transport to get to us. We are low on numbers and money is very tight, so like you we may also be closing in the near future, if we don't increase our numbers. Hope you will find somewhere, as it would be such a waste. Good luck!

Our problem is we can't find affordable new premises. I am a passionate believer in sessional care ( yes I know lots of parents need day care, but it's just not something I can happily be a part of) and all premises round here are snapped up by day care providers who can afford to pay more than we can.

Our ofsted inspector said that this is a story she is hearing all too often now.

• Like 3

eyfs1966, have you looked for grants to help with your expenditure for the first five years? You could write to your MP and the DfE too. Congratulations on your judgement; it would be a travesty if an Outstanding setting closed. Can I ask what your previous judgement was?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying. Our previous inspection grade was also outstanding. The reality is that with or without any help with relocation costs (assuming we could find alternative suitable premises, which we can not), I think the writing really is on the wall for sessional providers. We are not viable financially in comparison with day care providers. Sad, but true.

• Like 2

Sorry for the delay in replying. Our previous inspection grade was also outstanding. The reality is that with or without any help with relocation costs (assuming we could find alternative suitable premises, which we can not), I think the writing really is on the wall for sessional providers. We are not viable financially in comparison with day care providers. Sad, but true.

I hope you don't close EYFS, but if it is in the pipeline what, if anything, are you doing to prepare for closure?

A setting close to us closed last year and the manager did say to me that nobody helped them with anything (county or PLA)

Are you a committee/ charity setting?

This is sad. I am also sessional and feel the same as yourself. To make the business work I have opened for a full school day for my preschool year children and that has hrlped with the dip in numbers. But there is now pressure (from parents) to take the younger ones all day. I don't feel my premises are conducive to all days for 2 year old.

On top of which a brand daycare is opening a few yards down the road!

Not sure how long I will be around for.

• Like 1

I know we are digressing from the original post with this but it seems really sad that there no longer seems to be a place for sessional community pre schools. We open for one day and the other just mornings, but are increasingly feeling the pressure to open the other days as well. I only accept children for our whole day when they are aged 3 as I feel that we are not suited to have younger children for the whole day.

Sad isn't it. For us, we have known that we were going to lose our premises for some time, and it became clear early on that finding new premises would be an uphill struggle. We have therefore spent the last 2 years preparing for closure, carefully budgeting to ensure we can cover redundancy costs, and for us, the losses of being open in the final year with much lower numbers as anticipated. The LA seem indifferent, we have no local PSLA so we are muddling along on our own...

We are lucky in some ways..we did have healthy reserves , and thus could plan for closure rather than be forced to close at short notice. Never the less, I would warn any nursery who is renting rather than leasing premises to be very aware of the risks and potential liabilities associated with closure.

• 3 weeks later...

Can I just ask if a child is absent from your nursery for a day do you ring the parents??? We normally ring if it has been a few days to see if everything is ok.

We had an inspection last week. Whilst talking to the inspector a parent phoned in, this led to a short discussion about our procedure - which for us is: when a parent rings we add note to register, if a child hasn't attended for three consecutive sessions we ring them (on the third day). She was happy with that.

I also took the opportunity to explain how we are trying to help promote one particular child's low attendance..... before she asked :lol:

• Like 1